Friday, May 28, 2010

Wise man built his house upon the Rock

... discussing death with the boys. With 2 grandpas battling cancer, I thought it was something that Hunter especially needed to "understand."

A picture of Papa Edgar from last June.

My heart breaks to say that Chad's grandpa lost his battle with cancer this morning. Instead of struggling for each breath, he is singing and talking to our Savior this morning. What an amazing picture. I can practically hear Papa Edgar's deep chuckle while he talks to Jesus.

As I talked to Chad's sister yesterday, she said that Papa Edgar was not doing good at all. When I got off the phone with her, I called the boys over so he could say a prayer for Papa Ed. As I choked up and teared up while praying, Hunter said, "mommy, don't cry. We will see Papa Edgar again in heaven." And, he is so right. Hunter has such a logical yet compassionate perspective; I hope he never loses that.

When Chad got the news that his Grandpa was not doing well, he went over to say good bye as they were going to put Edgar into a drug induced coma to make his transition to Jesus easier. They said he would probably pass in a couple days but the I believe the Lord heard our prayers and took him less then 12 hours after they induced the coma. As I continued to talk to Hunter about Papa Edgar going to see Jesus he told me, "my eyes are watering. Wait, no they are not, I think I am crying." He tried to wipe them away quickly as I reassured him that even daddy would cry. He told me that daddy was not crying, but we all know better. He sat on my lap and then discreetly got up and got a kleenex to wipe his eyes and then to wipe up Shepherd's drool.

As I prayed over the boys last night when I put them to bed, I truly hope they have some of Papa Edgar's qualities. Edgar was a wise man - he truly got it. He didn't sweat the small stuff and seemed to always keep things in perspective. He was strong and a true man, yet was not gruff or intimating. The cliche' of he would give you the shirt off his back fits Edgar to a "T." He constantly wanted to help others and was geniunely concerned with other's welfare. It was not artificial or forced; he really cared.

I could go on and on but I have a baby getting fussy, a 2 year old sitting on the potty, and Hunter wants to play; so duty calls.

Papa Edgar, give Jesus a hug from us and Jesus, give ol' Pop a hug from us too. See ya later Papa!

EDIT (about 2 hours later thus the change in the title of the post)- God is so amazing. The boys and I do a daily "school" lesson which consists of a Bible Story/ Study, the letter of the week, a color or number of the week, and normally a craft.

Today's Bible Story just happened to be The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock. Those who know Edgar can probably already see the parallels. Edgar was a builder. He owned his own construction company for years and just stopped building last year. As the boys and I discussed the rock versus the sand; I couldn't help but smile and think about how Edgar built his life on the Rock. Because he built his life on the Rock, his son built his life on the Rock, which led to my husband building his life on the Rock, which I pray will lead our sons to building their life on the Rock.

Edgar, thank you for building so many firm foundations.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. I will be praying for you all and the family. As hard as it is, we do know that he is no longer in any pain and he is dancing on streets of gold. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for your loss. You were truly blessed to have such a wonderful man in your life and the life of your boys.

    ReplyDelete