Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beachin' It -part 1





waiting for Queenie so we can start the trip to the beach



... at the beach and came to the realization that May is the time to go to the beach. WOW! The weather was amazing, we basically owned the beach, plus the company was pretty entertaining as well.

The trip started with my grandparents (in their 70's), my mom (51), my 3 boys, and me all in my van traveling around 4- 5 hours. We left Wednesday morning and arrived around 8 pm. We stayed two full days and left Saturday morning at 8 am.

We stayed in a beach house that was when you walk out the back door, you step into the sand. My wonderful aunt and her husband won a silent auction and invited us to entertain them and I think we did...

There is no way I could relay all the hilarity that occurred over the 2 days we where there, but just so I never forget; I must put it into words.

If you are not family, this will mean nothing. But Uncle David coined his new nickname as Fuckle. You must know David to see how funny this really is.

Aunt Christy got a bur up her butt to get a "boat." In Fuckle's defense, he told her not to do it and I should have listened to him but then again we would have missed out on this "memory." She asked me if I wanted to get a little boat with her. I thought a boat would be like a raft that we would sit in together and float on the ocean. Nope, she meant a single person kayak. Once I realized what she meant, it was too late to turn back. I asked her if she had done this before because I had not... she looked at me dumbfounded and said "well yes." So, while I was feeding the boys and getting ready to put them down for rest/ naps, Christy goes ahead and attempts it. I missed the first one, the second one is below, but the quality is poor for 2 reasons... 1- mom and I were laughing so hard,I was shaking and 2- I was too far away, but you get the idea... she gets knocked off. Finally, on her 3rd real attept she takes a little paddle down the ocean.


She is on it.

I come 10 minutes later and pretty much get on it rather quickly, however, it is not easy to hop up there while waves on coming plus as Aunt Christy learned, you have to get out deep enough to no have waves break on top of you. Here are some pictures of me on the kayak.

Trying to figure out how to get up there


Off and rowing



This next part is the funniest... GrandmeDean had been holding the kayaks steady for us while we got up so she was eh, knee deep in water. I was probably 30 yards away from Christy and GrandmaDean when I started to ride the waves into shore. When I was almost on the sand I look over at them, GrandmaDean is trying to help Christy up on her kayak while a pretty substantial wave catches both of them off guard. My 75 year old grandma and 55 year old aunt get totally knocked off of their feet and go under. I hop off of my kayak and sprint to them while my mom is standing there literally peeing in the sand because she is laughing so hard with my expensive camera around her neck unable to help them. Once I get to them, GrandmaDean's $600 new prescription glasses (yes, 600) and sunglasses are lost in the Atlantic, however they are both up laughing. Within 20 seconds, a small wave, Christy, and her kayak somehow get tied up together and Christy does a face plant back into the water with her kayak on top of her. The whole series of events was ... I cant think of a word that can describe it...I am laughing just reliving it.

It gets just a little bit better. The three of us decide we need a picture, so we get our kayaks up on the sand, Christy goes to sit in hers and she seriously flips out of it while ON THE SAND.

Aunt Christy flips out on the sand.


Finally, the 3 sailors... the best part is my grandpa was in the Navy, deep down, he was probably mortified!



I learned a couple things from this.
1- Aunt Christy lies like a dog!
2- However, she is one of the most persistent people I have ever met!
3- I hope I have a stronger bladder than my mom
4- My GrandmaDean can help me out anytime and I hope I have her bone strength when I get to be in my 70's.
5- Laughter is "seriously" one of the best things in the world
6- And I love these 3 women!

Next post will have my darling children and their beach adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment