Thursday, August 1, 2013

Another room is done.

On my kitchen post, I wasn't real sure what room would be my next project.

Well, I decided.

I have been tackling Ashton and Shepherd's room over the past few days and it has come together really nicely if I do say so myself. 

Here are the before pics... it is drab. 



This is the ultra cheapo K-Mart bedding that I bought at our last house when I couldn't find/ afford what I wanted.  I promised myself then that I was not going to keep it long, just long enough to find what I really wanted.  Link to that post.

A couple months ago, a friend pinned a baby nursery that had orange accents and for the first time, I was drawn to the color orange.  I guess I stored it in the back of my head because it resurfaced in a big way for A and S's room.  I already had so much navy... and I LOVE navy in a boys room that we went with navy and orange.   I couldn't find bedding that combined those colors in a way that I liked.  So I went a slightly different route.  I also laced in some sports stuff which was easy to do in our sport's minded house.

Anyway, here is what I did.


view from the door
Each have a place to pin up pictures, awards, artwork.  I just bought the square cork board and then taped off about an 1" in.  I spray painted heavy on the outside edge and then misted it on the inside.  And Shep has some pictures coming in the mail to put on his boards. :)



Love this wall.  Soccer cleats hanging with their sports bags. 

another view.  Pulled in our Clemson love here.  Salvaged an ugly broken lamp shade.  Spray painted it and then cut out a mold for Tiger paws and painted them.  Framed a small picture of a Clemson garden stake.


Perhaps the best view 



organized closet... so far this method is working perfectly!
 cute Target rug that matched perfectly












Some of things I love about this room.


1- That this....
I was going to use wood letters and paint them but that was too expensive. So, I bought the foam/ craft letters at Hobby Lobby for $1.27 a piece ( 2 of them were on clearance for .45).  I gave them 2 coats of orange spray paint.
 
...turns into this. I love this wall... turned out adorable



 
 2- Reusing the curtains that I painted from their last room.  Method here.  I put a knot in them and used some hooks that I have been sitting around since Hunter was a baby.  I think it was a baby gift.
 

 

 3- Gave these hooks a quick spray paint and once I nailed them in the wall all I noticed were the big ugly silvery nail heads.  I got some finger paint and painted the nail heads orange.  Apparently, finger paint does NOT stick to metal.  Good to know.  I walked in a couple hours later and the orange had totally disappeared.  I looked under the hooks and it was just gone.  I then looked on the ground and once the paint had dried, it just dropped off in a perfect little circle.

So, I sprayed some spray paint in a cup and then got a q-tip and dabbed it on.  I love when something so easy and free makes such an impact!
 

 4- All rooms should an heirloom piece or a sentimental piece and this stainglass is it for this room.  GrandpaGordie made it when I think Ashton was born.  We really have never given it the proper home it deserves... until now.  I think of him each time I look at it. 
 another heirloom piece that has fit in with this room is Shepherd's baby quilt.  The colors are so bright and vibrant that it didn't fit in with the last room, but it has found a home again.
 5- Yep, these boys are definitely what define the room.  Love 'em!

 


I love how this room turned out and I didn't even paint the walls... which those who know me know that is a big deal. 

Here is a list of the places I shopped.  This is all the new stuff I bought for the room, everything else we had.

Bedding- Target
Rug- Target
Nightlight- Target (little blue football helmet on table).... cool nightlight
Blue frames on letter wall- Hobby Lobby
Letters- Hobby Lobby
Spray Paint- Lowes
Cork Board- Hobby Lobby


2 comments:

  1. Love the letter wall and the frames. Glad you referenced where they were from because I was going to ask. Love them and want some for Seth's room. Were that that color already? I love how well you put rooms together. You have a knack for that and their room is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah- You did an awesome job! Love Love Love their names spelled out in the orange letters,and of course love that you tied Clemson into the theme! Jackson was talking about Shep the other day, he misses his bud!

    ReplyDelete