Sunday, August 18, 2013

Diamonds a Girl's Best Friend?

I start this post with an apology.  An apology to Mountain Smoke.  If you remember, Mountain Smoke is the color that I painted my kitchen last month.  It is a nice stainless steel color gray.  I remember looking at Mountain Smoke on the paint chip sample and thinking, "you are beautiful."


Try to focus on the stripes and not the absolutely beautiful baby and his crazy brother. ;)
Shep blowing Bennett's grilled cheese sandwich.  Let me tell you, Bennett loves a grilled cheese

Which led to Shep blowing Bennett's face

Curly headed 3 year old and basically bald 6 month old
 Oh yeah, back to the wall... I get so distracted by these kiddos.
 

And so, I picked it.... mountain smoke that is (just in case you already forgot what I was talking about).  I decided that I wanted to do something I had never done before... create diamonds and so I taped and I taped and I taped some more and then I painted Mountain Smoke.  I pulled off the tape and I immediately like it.  And then after a couple weeks something seems off with it.  I blame the color, "it is not brown enough", "the gray is too trendy with my stuff", etc.  I dismiss my crazy notion to repaint the kitchen and I think, "Hannah, you have issues, don't repaint, it looks fine."

And so, I move onto a different project... the den and dining room... the two rooms that adjoin the kitchen.  I finish these rooms and I don't just like them as I did the kitchen, I LOVE them... it is my style.  However, now the problem with the kitchen is even more pronounced.  It is at this point, I realize, it doesn't flow and that my friends... is a deal breaker.

I promise my husband, my mother, and my grandma that I will NOT repaint the kitchen for a couple years.  I won't... promise.

And then, I did... kind of.
Main wall
Turns out, diamonds are not me.  Or should I say, diamonds on the wall are not me.  Diamonds on my  neck or on my finger are definitely me. 
Notice how much better this flows

I still love the diamond look, I can say I know how to do diamonds should any friend or family member need help doing it, but it just didn't suit my house and my style.  Not to brag, but kitchen has so many nice features that a trendy paint job just competed with the already nice things. 

Now, I adore the kitchen... and Mountain Smoke. It probably only took 1 1/2 hours to quickly put a coat of paint over the stripes.  Plus, the stripes vaguely shine through which I kind of like.
See how you can still see a vague diamond pattern.
I know many people loved the diamonds and are angry with me over this decision. So just call me crazy and humor me because it DOES LOOK BETTER!  Promise!

1 comment: