Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Hunter Will Be There

At 6:15 this evening, we were on our way to the YMCA Soccer Meeting and Hunter asked me a question. "Can 2 boys get married?" Have no idea where this question came from, I dont watch shows with openly gay characters nor do I discuss this topic with kids around.

I quickly respond, "No, God made 1 man and 1 woman to be married... that is why He made Adam and then Eve." (Hunter finds great delight in that Adam was made first.)

We then start talking about the Garden of Eden... if lions were mean, the punishment of sin, Satan starting out as an angel but then being thrown out of heaven, disobedience, etc, etc.

Which led to...

I said, "if Jesus is in your heart then you will go to heaven."
He said, "Jesus is in my heart." (he has said this before and I always say, "is he?"
I responded with the same question, "is he?"
The difference was this time, Hunter paused and said something to the effect of "most of the time." (cant remember his exact wording, but it was the first time he showed doubt.)
I then told him that "well when you are ready to ask Jesus into your heart, you just need to say this prayer.... (insert prayer of salvation)"
He responded with, "I cant remember that."
Me, "well when you are ready, you can repeat it after me."
Hunter, "I still cant remember"
Me, "you can just repeat it after me"
Hunter, "ok (pause) I want to do it now."
Me, "Are you sure? We are on the road."
Hunter, "yes, now."
Me, "uh, ok."

Me, "Dear Jesus"
Hunter, "Dear Jesus"
Me, "I love you"
Hunter, "I love you"
Me, "I know that I do bad things"
Hunter, "I know that I do bad things"
Me, "and I know that you forgive me"
Hunter, "and I know that you forgive me"
Me, "I want you to live in my heart"
Hunter, "I want you to live in my heart"
Me, "I want you to be my King"
Hunter, "I want you to be my King"
Me, "and to live in heaven with You forever"
Hunter, "and to live in heaven with You forever"
Me, "Thank You for saving me"
Hunter, "Thank You for saving me"
Me, "Amen."
Hunter, "Amen."

I said, "Hunter you just did a really big thing."
Hunter, "just like David, he was a little guy who did a really big thing."
Me (smile), "yep, just like David"

The rest of the way to the Y, I drove with tears in my eyes. For a moment, I had doubt. Is he really saved? He is only 5! Does he get it?
After the meeting, I asked him if remembered why he said that prayer in the car on the way to the Y.
He replied, "so God can live in my heart."
Yes! I do believe he gets it. He knows and believes everything in the Bible. With non- Bible stories , he will always ask me if it is pretend or not... never once has he questioned the legitimacy of the Bible.

I pray that God's sovereign, mighty hands will stay planted over each of my kids. I have seen proof tonight. Thank You Jesus!


2 comments:

  1. To this post, I sing.....

    O the deep deep love of Jesus
    Spread his praise from shore to shore.
    How He loveth, ever loveth.
    Changeth never - never more!
    How He watches o'er His loved ones
    Died to call them all his own!
    How for them He intercedeth
    Watcheth o'er them from the throne!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh big tears are in my eyes! I'm praying for you Hunter! Love to you all! Liv

    ReplyDelete