Saturday, January 4, 2014

Graveyard visit

How morbid is that title?

While we were down at Chad's parents house, we took the boys to the church playground.  While they played, I grabbed Bennett and the stroller and went across the street to the church graveyard.  Chad's grandpa, Edgar, is buried there and I thought we would pay him a visit. 

As a friend put it, "there is something about seeing a beginning and an ending date."  It is unnerving to see dates that are only years apart, or months, or even days.  Or to see a date that is practically my age.  Perspective?
The view is breathtaking.
I dont know about you, but I walk away from graveyards feeling humbled that I have today... that I have this moment to use.  Just in recent weeks, we have had friends and friends of friends that have died or come close to death and it is such a reminder that this is not our home.  I am here... in this moment... to bring Him glory. 

How do I bring Him glory?  I praise Him in the mundane.  I fold mounds of clothes.  I pick up piles of toys.  I watch football with Chad.  I get them dressed and change diapers and load and unload the dishwasher and feed them and feed them and feed them again.  He is glorified in my work.  More importantly, He is glorified in my attitude to do it joyfully.

My prayer is that no matter how long I have that those see me doing the mundane with joy.

Graveyards can be such a great reminder to re prioritize.... to have a softer voice with the kids... or the husband.  To take time for the seemingly insignificant.  To jump on the trampoline or grab them and spin to not sweat small stuff... 

...Wow... I had no intention of getting sappy/ deep...  you just got some insight to my scattered brain.  I had actually just wanted to post a funny story of Shepherd.  :)

The boys all decided they wanted to walk the graveyard with me. 

We walked to the very top where PapaEdgar is buried.  I pulled out my camera to take a picture (again, it may be morbid... but I get it from my dad) of Edgar's headstone.
I love the bottom part, "a wise man who built his house upon the rock."  They took this from my blog post... obviously it came from the Bible, but I blogged about it here and I was so glad they used it because it truly sums up PapaEdgar.

 I turn around and see this...
 Yep, he is planking on someones headstone.  I was mortified... not mortified enough to not take a picture, but mortified nonetheless.  In addition, he also was playing in the little pebbles at PapaEdgar's gravespot, 

I explained to him that we dont do things like that in a graveyard, but I really couldnt get mad because all I could hear was Edgar's hearty chuckle over the spirit of a scattered 4 year old. 

Go... enjoy the mundane.




1 comment:

  1. Mundane? Your life will be far from that with Sheppy and the other three!
    Beautiful picture of the mountains - thanks for sharing your heart and reminding us all that All's Grace!

    ReplyDelete