Monday, January 13, 2014

My Little Readers

Ashton
Frick and Frack (Ashton and Shepherd) are both doing great reading.  In addition to what Ashton is learning at school, we are doing The Reading Lesson at home.  We are trying to get back in our groove since we did nothing over Christmas break :(.  But he is really picking it up.  Here is what he is reading now.
Ashton's current reading spot (Chapter 12).

 Shepherd
Shepherd just amazes me.  He just turned 4 and he is reading.  I was tentative to start The Reading Lesson with him at the beginning of the school year because of his age, but he has known all his letters and and the sounds for well over a year and a half.  It just seemed wrong to not start the next phase... and that was blending the sounds together.  And now I am so glad I started him in August, he is doing great!  Here is what he is reading.  I recorded him reading this today, but it is over a minute long and it would take FOREVER to upload it on here.



And Shep is on Chapter 8.

Here is a picture of The Reading Lesson.  I want to sing this program's praises.  It is easy to follow for the teacher and child.  Starts really simple but builds at a nice steady pace. 

Hunter
Let me also add Hunter into the mix.  He continues to love to read.  He has always loved to look at books, but he is really into non fiction type/ educational books like space, animals, weather.  As of the end of the first nine weeks, he was where he should begin in 3rd grade.  He has read a couple chapter books but enjoys the chapter books that still have pictures laced through them.
An example of what Hunter can read

All this reading makes my reading heart very happy.  I have always been an avid reader.  I can sit down with a big ol novel and finish it in a day (while neglecting every bit of responsibility that I have.)  I really need to list some of the good books that I have read recently.... another day.

Ok, that is the end of my brag... Let me just add, I know I have people reading this that have kids Shepherd's age who are no where near reading.  Shepherd is outside of the norm on things like this and always has been.  I dont necessarily thing he is overly smart but learning this type of stuff (puzzles, etc) have always come easy.  Hunter didnt start blending sounds together until the middle of k5... and look at him now!  So, please dont think you need to start your 3 or 4 year old on the reading path if you they are not ready, you are not ready, or ya just dont want to. :) 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the disclaimer at the end. Noah is almost reading and Luke is no where near where Shep is. And Seth has a long way to go :) I always find that I have to constantly remind myself each child is different and it's not fair to them to compare. I guess it's just human nature to do so. I'm going to look into that book though. So proud of your boys and how great they are doing! See you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced that a supplemental reading program will jump start your kids once they enter school.....it then becomes a wonderful cycle - the young reader experiences success at school and then self-efficacy soars....and that's from a Queenie and an old fart stain educator! So there you go for all you followers of Hannah's blog - free advice....and Olivia, you are a Wise Woman!

    ReplyDelete