Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Dresser Facelift

I just love it when I have an idea that turns out to not work only to discover that Plan B is perfect! :)

BEFORE




AFTER

This dresser was Chad's dads dresser when he was a kid.  It has sat empty and unused for awhile now and Hub brought it up to us last time he came.  Nothing overly impressive about the dresser.  I liked the legs and the 9 drawers but knew the darkish wood veneer would not work.

My first plan was to strip it, stain it... keeping the old feel of it.  The corners were already in bad shape and the veneer was peeling off in spots anyway.








I looked around for a tutorial and found a couple.  In my mind and on the tutorials I read, beautiful or at least plain ol wood was going to be under the veneer.  NO, not the case with this little dresser- I got rough, splintery plywood.    Staining was no longer an option and questioned whether painting was going to smooth out the top of the dresser enough to not cause splinters.

I pressed on though.

Here is what I did.

1- Wood Compound to smooth over some of the stripping veneer on the sides
2- Rough sanding 
3- Prime


4-  I chose to go a little Pottery Barn/ Restoration Hardware in the look by showcasing numbered drawers.  There is surely a better/ cleaner way to do this than my method but I am too impatient and cheap.

I traced the numbers off the computer onto computer paper.

Cut numbers out.  Placed numbers on drawer and then painted over it...

yes, I had a TON of paint on my hands and yes, my eczema is not happy about it. And yes, the paint did bleed under the numbers a tad.  But, a damp sock easily got the bad mistakes and the smaller bleed throughs add to the character, right?  :)

5- Paint (2 coats on sides and 3 coats on the top.  The top was the only part that had the rough wood).  The paint was a find. Every time I go to Lowes, I check the paint section for the "mess ups"... the paint that people have mixed but wind up not buying.  I have found some awesome deals here.  I actually couldnt decide what paint to use, but once I saw this little quart of paint sitting there for $2.50, I knew I found it.  It is actually a flat, exterior paint but it had primer in it as well... which this little dresser needed all the primer it could get. 


6- For the hooks.  I was going to spray paint them and still might if what I did doesnt hold up but...  I went to Dollar Tree and bought a thing of thinnish rope and just double knotted it through the holes.


My goal with this dresser was to finish so that I could put it almost anywhere in my house though its first home is going to be in Ashton and Shepherds room (as they share one small dresser).  And I am happy to say that I achieved it.  I could put it in the den, the boys bathroom, the foyer, or even make it the computer desk... so may possibilities.  But, for now, here she is in her new spot. 
Rearranged the room a bit.  Small table is on the other wall now.
Total Cost
- Medium block sandpaper $5.00
- Tube of Wood Compound $7.00 (this busted my budget, looking back, I could have probably been ok without it)
- Quart of Paint- $2.50
- Rope - $1.00

TOTAL- $15.50

Thanks again Papa Hub for the dresser (and nightstand).. they are perfect and very needed!

3 comments:

  1. Tha't amazing! Love it, you did a really awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome - and really like the fact that it can go so many place in a home (including mine! :))

    ReplyDelete