Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Boy's Room! Finally!

About a month or two ago we made the move...

What move?

The moving of Shepherd into the big boy room... meaning now all three boys share a bedroom.  Which also means I had a project on my hands- time to transform the boys bedroom.

I feel like I should first warn that my love of stripes continues.  If stripes ever go out of style, please don't tell me because I have a serious love affair them.  Thanks.

Theme
We decided on a loose theme of airplanes.  With the military playing such a huge part of my life, I thought it was fitting.  I knew I had seen military (Air Force) airplane prints in my parent's basement turns out they had more than I could even us.  These prints were given to them by my grandpa who served in the Navy.

Bedding
The bedding is not my dream bedding, but after MUCH searching, I settled on this.  I just could not justify paying over $100 for a kid's quilt. Here is what I am going to keep my eye on though.
Option 1- Wesley Explorer Bedding
Option 2- Star Quilted Bedding - which I have already seen at the outlet
Instead, for now, ol' K-Mart came through.  I just happened to go into K-Mart and ran into these lite weight (probably also known as cheap) comforters.  Best part, they were on clearance for $10 for the comforter and shams.  I grabbed 2 doubles and 2 twins (just in case one messes up). When I got home I got really happy when I realized they were reversible (which is the side I chose to use).  They are also had airplane sheets on clearance for next to nothing, I grabbed the THREE they had left... perfect!.  I was elated!

View from the bedroom door: 
                                                            Before                                                              

After
 I kept the base color the same.  I added 15.5" stripes in a navy blue... don't know the exact color as I had the Home Depot dude color match for me. 

 


View from the closet door: 

Before                                                                                
  After- Hunter's twin bed up top, Ashton's double bed on bottom
-Love these bunk beds.  Got at Rooms to Go Kids and added a front ladder.
- The lighting was put in by my dad.  Gives Hunter a place to "read."

View of the other wall
Before


After- Shep's bed
More of the airplane prints.  Plus airplane "ornament" again from PB outlet (thanks mom).

 Here are some other shots of the room.
Desk hooked onto bunk bed... love it- great place for Hunter to do homework.  I just need to find a little computer chair for cheap.
  

The board came from the Pottery Barn outlet.  I already had the hooks (got at Hobby Lobby) and just sprayed them blue.  We dont have a hall/ coat closet so coat hooks were pretty important.
 
The curtains.  I made them and I will do a post on that later... Made them out of a 6*9 drop cloth though... more on that later.
My favorite of the airplane pictures plus my favorite book to read to the boys... mentioned it this post.
 
A grouping of pictures.  I have to get one more pictures of the boys with their other cousin(s).
The shelves (also from my parent's basement--- used to be in my brother Zach's room--- just repainted them)
Thanks Dad for spending a couple hours getting these shelves up- these shelves were HARD to hang and I would probably still be trying to hang them if I didn't get help from the Mantis!  
Thought I would show a closer up picture of what I put on the shelves.  Though these shelves will probably be filled with trophies, right now I filled it with their favorite things.
-On their first birthdays, mom bought each boy the stamps that were out and framed them.  These are Sheps (we kind of cheated with his- I liked these stamps a whole lot better than the ones that were out when he turned 1 which were comic stars, these were closer to his 2nd bday, but they are forever stamps.)
- A dog book
-Hunter's first trophy
-The alarm clock also came from PB outlet, it doesnt work but how could I pass up an airplane clock.
-These stamps are Hunter's for .39 a stamp.
 
-The baseball was given to Hunter by Uncle Nolan.  It is signed by one of the Clemson Tigers baseball players who will probably sign pretty soon.  Kevin and Uncle are roommates.
-These stamps are Ashton's at .41  a stamp.
-And obviously need a couple more pictures to fill that frame.

I gotta say, I love this room.  It turned out exactly like I wanted.  I want to add red accents eventually but the reverse side of my el cheapo bedding would clash something awful for red, so for now, the navy is going to rule the room.

But most important, the boys love it!

The Price
Paint- 1 Gallon- $28
Frames for airplane prints- $42
Airplane clock- $12
Bulletin Board- $15
Collage Frame- $15 
Bedding/ sheets- $68
Lighting- $45
Curtain rod- $17
Curtain- $10
TOTAL-  $252
 *** everything else we already had.

***(Price does not include the bunk beds as technically they were apart of the boys birthday gift from my parents and Christmas gift from both my parents and Chad's parents)  Thanks again, Mantis, Queenie, Grandma, and Papa Hub.)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! You are so crafty! The boys look great and I love all the airplanes! So mature and fun at the same time! Well done. Now, we need to see it in person. ROAD TRIP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to say you learned it all from me, but that would be a lie. The ultimate compliment is when the snotty nose younger brother offers to pay Hannah $500.00 to decorate his house when he graduates! He knows she'll do it "on the cheap" and it will look amazing. I have you next, Hannah...need help with my bedroom! You da bomb!

    ReplyDelete