Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Boy's Room Curtains

As I mentioned here, I "made" the curtains for the boys room.

Besides our house being a bit on the small side, the other BIG problem is there is only 1 window in each of the bedrooms and they are small.  So, I knew I needed a curtain that would lengthen and widen the lone window.

However, I have no money.... hahah, seriously, I had very little in the money area to work with especially to achieve the look I wanted.

So, through pinterest and blogs, I start to narrow down how I am going to do this and I ran into painted curtains.

I find this pinterest link first.  I, however, dont have an IKEA at my finger tips and I still didn't want to invest a lot in the actual panel.  So, I found another blog (that I did not pin... oops... and I cant find it now).  Anyway, this blogger used a drop cloth. I went to Lowes and got a 6 * 9 drop cloth for like 10 or 11 bucks and a small paint roller.

Once home, I washed and dried the panel... hoping that it would shrink the length of the panel.  Unfortunately, it stayed 9 feet and shrunk the width to 5 feet.

For all my sewing friends (and GrandmaDean), dont even read what I did next.  But for the rest of us who can't sew... I then needed to make a place for my curtain rod to go through.  I got my hot glue gun and made the "sleeve" for the rod.  I also "hemmed" the sides (where I had cut it in half) with my glue gun so it would not fray.  I was a bit worried that the glue would not hold but it has done perfect

I then cut the panel in half.
Half of panel
.

Next, I decided the pattern I wanted (which is similar to the blog that I didn't pin) and then measured and taped off my stripes... you guys know my obsession with stripes.

Then went to the garage and started rolling.

A couple things I learned.  
1- Use a bigger roller.  I used a trim roller which I think is the smallest roller ever made which made this process take much longer than needed.


2- This takes a TON of paint.  I had over 1/3 of a gallon of paint left and basically used it all.  So, be careful buying only a quart because it probably will not be enough.
3- I did put a sheet under my drop cloth/ curtain when painting and there are a couple spots where it bled through onto the garage floor. 
4- I don't know if it is the kind of paint I used but my curtains are not overly flexible (that might have something to do with the stiffness of the drop cloth though).  I read somewhere that some paint is more flexible than others (maybe latex???).  The stiff look works well in the boy's room though.
Finished product
Overall, this is a super easy and inexpensive way to get customized curtains up!  If you are a pinterest person, type in "DIY curtains with drop cloth" to get some other really neat ideas.

6 comments:

  1. Since you are the queen of stripes...I think we need a tutorial on how you get your stripes so level and clean on your walls :) Curtains look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia, I think Hannah is the Queen of DIY! Sometimes having little money is a blessing....I don't know about you, but after I've worked all day, I'm a little envious of "little miss stay at home!"
    But, hey Hannah....nice job!
    CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom, dopt even get Liv started on staying at home. :)

      Delete
  3. Your just afraid she'll vie for your entrepreneurial cleaning business!! Haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a hilarious comment thread! Yes, please don't get me started on being a SAHM :) In God's timing right? Seriously though...I want to know how you get your stripes so straight! :)

    ReplyDelete