Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Ashton's Prayer

The boys and I pile up on Ashton's bed for bedtime stories.  Hunter picked a reptile book and we read. I then suggest he go and grab his Bible and we would do a Bible story.

We read when Satan tempted Jesus.  After we had finished reading it, Hunter talked about good people going to heaven and bad people going to hell.  I started to correct him and then he corrected himself before I got the main point that even good people can go to hell.  He added that you must have Jesus in your heart.   I smile and agree.

Ashton told me, "I have Jesus in my heart."  Anytime, young  kids (under 6) say this, I think it is appropriate to just nod and say, "you do?  Good".  So, that was my response.

Hunter then questioned Ashton.  "Have you prayed for Jesus to come into your heart?" 

Ashton told Hunter, "I dont know how."

I hold my breath knowing what Missionary Hunter is going to say next.

Hunter said, "mommy will help you."

I close my eyes feeling unprepared to turn away a 4 year old and irresponsible in changing the subject to the thunderstorm outside.

Ashton looked at me and I at him.  I try to assess him- he seems so mature in this moment.

I ask him, "do you want to have Jesus in your heart?"

He answers with assurance, "yes."  And bows his head.

I think- "who am I to judge his heart or his readiness." So...

I lead the prayer and he follows me.

They follow me to follow Him. 

The responsibility of my role as their mom seems greatest at these moments. 

Is this the prayer that seals Ashton's salvation?  Only Jesus knows.  I do feel confident that Ashton is sincere in his desire for Jesus and that Jesus did not turn the children away.  If Jesus did not turn children away, I am sure not going to either.

It is hard to be any more clear on the subject than Jesus' own words were in Matthew 19:14. 
"Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."






6 comments:

  1. What a Beautiful Moment! You are a wonderful mom.

    In my religion we believe that children who die before they reach the age of accountability, when they know right from wrong, are held blameless before God and are guaranteed salvation. We believe this age is 8 years old. Our children are not baptized until they are at least 8 years old, when they can choose to be baptized and become members of Christ's church here on the earth. They don't need to be baptized before they are 8 because they are innocent and incapable of sin.

    Not that you asked. It's just interesting to learn about and understand others' beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord! How awesome that Hunter had a part in it too. Happy tears yet again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah didn't remove anything - her mom did. I left a comment and it went under Hannah's name. It'll be easy to remember, though....it's a song that I hummed non-stop when my boss, Anita Beatty, was battling cancer and went home to be with our Savior January 6th....
    Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus - Just to take Him at His word
    Just to rest upon His promise and to know "thus saith the Lord!"
    Jesus, Jesus, How we'll trust you - How we've proved you o'er and o'er
    Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus - Oh for grace to trust Him more."

    Hannah, He's faithful and true. We stand humbled and in awe.

    And if this post as Hannah....I don't know what the problem is....I'm Queenie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Hannah! That is so wonderful. It's why you do what you do, right? Praise God for his providence and for the blessing of kids being saved at a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, Hannah....your dad, being Mantis, just said that this is because he "secretly baptized him in the bathtub!" We absolutely have no other choice but to love that man! He is a funny one!

    ReplyDelete