Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hunter, Let Me Hold You Longer


"Long ago, you came to me, a miracle of firsts.  Firsts smile, and teeth, and baby steps a sunbeam on the burst.  But one day, you will go away and leave to me your past and I will be left thinking of a liftetime of your lasts."  ~ Let Me Hold You Longer
This is the beginning of my favorite childrens book- one that I have read to you since I brought you home from the hospital and one that I still have a hard time finishing without choking up.  Baby books are filled with first moments, we are so anxious for the firsts, but those last moments can be wished away before we blink our eyes.

I have definitely seen you grow up a lot this past year.  I guess entering the world of school has something to do with it.  As we ate lunch with you today at school, I look around and see all these 5 and 6 year olds, just like you, fending for themselves and I just want to protect you.  I want to protect you from this cruel, mean, unfair world.  And then I realize, that though my calling is to protect you, I think my bigger job is to prepare you.  To prepare you to stand up and to fight the good fight! (2 Tim: 4:7)

As with most fights, you will get hurt.  Period.  Especially as a follower of Jesus, the world will hate you, but remember the world hated Jesus first.
John 15:18-19 says, “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.  If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

Hunter, your path has already been laid out for you, I find great comfort in knowing that God's plan for you will be accomplished.  Child, he has chosen you.  Don't ever take that for granted.  At your young age of 6, I have already seen His hand on you... preparing you for His service.  

Hunter, don't be so focused on the future that you miss those precious last moments and likewise, don't be so focused on the past that you miss the first moments.  Planning for the future is great and remembering the past is great, but focus on the present.

Where is God going to use you NOW? 
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And, on a lighter note, here are a couple of your 6 year old pics.


Some of you Current "Things"
As of now, you are able to sound out a lot of words.  I guess I can say you are reading, it is still a slow process but I can see that it will not be much longer before you will be able to sit down with a book and read it without my help.

You are about to lose your 2nd tooth.

As much as you love your brothers, you love to have some alone time to pretend and play on your own.

You have been a momma's boy since the day you were born, but this past year, you and daddy have started having more in common.  You love to wrestle with daddy and then come love on me.  I guess that is the way it is supposed to be.

You still are an AWFUL eater!  I struggle almost nightly with getting you to eat something besides bread.  Forget any veggies or fruits, we are still trying to get you to eat a decent amount of potatoes or rice.  You are starting to eat meats a bit better, but we still have battles.  The good thing is that you are not just picky about good food- though you do eat chocolate (and occasionally ice cream), you dont eat a lot of the nasty junk food (icing, hard candy, or gummy type candy).

You are seriously one of the sweetest people I know.  You have such a kind heart.  I love you more than you will ever know!

Happy Birthday Hunter bug!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Hunter,
    Let me tag along with mom and wish you a Happy 6th Birthday. As the first grandchild of Queenie and Mantis, you have set the bar for goodness! I love how when you have a question you ask "why not?" I tried to explain to you one day why "not" wasn't necessary and got so frustrated with my explanation that I gave up....you just smiled and went on your merry Hunter way - that's my boy! So satisfied with the present and content with your circumstances...."Live for Jesus, that's what matters....and when other houses crumble, yours will be strong. Live for Jesus, that's what matters....that you see the light in me and come along!" I love you, kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hunter, I can't believe you are 6! I remember vividly this sweet baby crawling around on the floor that Christmas in the wildwood trace apartments! Those pictures are so manly. You are so handsome! Noah wanted to call you last night and tell you Happy Birthday and ask you to be Superman while he is Batman. I'm sure you will be asked to play superheros when we see you in a week or so! As much as your brothers admire you, my Noah sure does admire you too and that makes me happy. We love you!

    ReplyDelete