Sunday, April 3, 2011

Moss Letters



Ok, Olivia, this is for you.

A couple weeks ago, I showed my moss letter "S" (scroll down past the precious pics of my kids.) My mom asked me to make her one and Olivia asked for a quick tutorial on how I did it, so here we go.

Now, when I saw this in Pottery Barn, I figured it would become quite big in the DIY world. I did not do any research on how other people were making theirs. However, since I made mine, I have stumbled on a couple different methods.

I am going to stick with what I know and what worked for me.

I went to Hobby Lobby in search for a pre-cut letter.... around 16"-20" in height- made of thin wood, or foam, or plastic or even metal.

Unfortunately, my reliable Hobby Lobby failed me and left me thinking of another way.

I decided to use flower/ craft foam stuff.
Here are materials
1- Foam
2- Pencil/ Pen
3- Knife
4- Glue Gun/ Glue Sticks
5- Moss
6- Ribbon


Before I go on, let me show you my new little work space. This is a little room in our garage that most men would jump at the chance to make manly. ... not my awesome husband, he leaves the tools and stuff to me. I gave him 18 months to make this space his and when he didnt claim it, I did. I am going to girly it up a bit more this summer :)


Ok, back to the main point.

Step 1-
Trace out your letter. I did this one 16" high... I did not use a template though that would have been helpful... turns out an "A" is harder to do than a "S". It does not need to be perfect.


Step 2- Using your knife, cut out your letter.

Step 3- Start placing your moss and gluing it on (I used about 15 glue sticks for one letter). You can also buy moss in a sheet where you just lay it and cut it to fit... I decided to use small sections and glue them on individually.

Step 4- Cut your ribbon to hang your letter. Depending on the letter, you will have to get creative. For the "A", I just put a slit in the letter and then used the knife to push the ribbon through.
My mom's "A"

My "S"


This is really and easy project and the result is really nice. I have mine hanging inside right now over a big mirror. Total time is probably about 1 1/2 to 2 hours (depending if you are tending to children :)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks! I'm feeling a trip to Michaels. No fun Hobby Lobby for me! I'll post pics when I get done! Of course, it will have to wait until the weekend :) I'm SO jealous of your crafty space!

    ReplyDelete