Saturday, November 9, 2013

For Esme' - With Love

and NO Squalor.

Probably only my family will understand the title of the post.  My niece, Esme' was named after a short story by JD Salinger called "For Esme'- With Love and Squalor"

Anyway---

When Esme' was born, I told my sister-in-law and brother that I would paint some letters for her room.

I guess I have become the letter queen over the past few years.  From DIY Moss Covered Pottery Barn Initials to glitter names to spray painted craft foam letters, I think I am starting to master this  letter thing.  :)

Esme's room was already painted a rich chocolate brown with white wainscoating.  Zach and Anna decided to add in pink accents.

I picked out a pink that looked pretty on the swatch... let me say again... THANK GOD FOR SAMPLES.  It looked like I had thrown up a bottle of Pepto Bismal!  Disaster. 

Mom found some beautiful bedding at PB Outlet.  Totally white with a line of light pink.  It is so feminine and soft (the exact opposite of my house!).  I was so glad that this gave me an excuse to repaint the letters to  match the soft pink vs the Pepto Bismal pink.
The left is Pepto Pink (Reflecting Rose).  The right is "Oh so Pink"

I settled on "Oh So Pink" by Valspar.  For the record, the Pepto Bismal pink is really called "Reflecting Rose."

I painted the letters and immediately got a bit nervous because it looked white.  I later realized it looked white because the other was sooo intensely pink.  I dont have much pink experience, so cut me a break. ;)

Once painted, it just didnt pop enough.  I thought about dots and of course, stripes... but that wasnt it.  So, I got a bit trendy.  Can you guess?

Chevron.

It is perfect.

I will admit I took the easy way out, though much more expensive.  I am sure I could have figured out how to tape Chevron with masking tape by measuring, cutting, measruing, cutting.  But, I spent $13 and bought Frog Tape Smart Tape in Chevron.  It saved a ton of time.  I got the chevron taped and painted in 30 minutes.


 

I actually used white spray paint for the chevron which made it even faster and cleaner. Touched up some minimal bleeding through the tap and they are done! So pretty.

I decided to do Esme' monogram instead of her name.  That way Zach and Anna can reuse the "A" from their last name in a different part of the house should they decide to change her room up.
And yes, her monogram is EAR.  I didnt even realize it until mom pointed it out.

Miss Esme', I hope this will add a finishing touch to your room.  Love you!


2 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for the sample size jars right?!? I love the chevron tape and think it's totally worth the cost. I never knew it existed either! Would have been cute on Seth's letter too since his crib sheet is chevron. You did a great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letters look awesome! Thanks so much for doing them, Hannah. Sweet little eAr loves them. :)

    ReplyDelete