Friday, November 15, 2013

I win Mother of the Year Again

In case you are wondering, Mother of the Year (MOY), is not a good thing.  Even being what most would consider a veteran mom since I have 4 kiddos, I still have moments that I just want to smack my forehead and go, "you dumb a$$, why did you let that happen" or "how did you miss that?"

Now I realize that this next sotry was fully accidentally, I just wish sometimes we, as moms, had future vision.

For the story.

I was cooking dinner last night... frying bacon.  Bennett was at my feet.  I did not pick him up because of the bacon grease splattering.  He likes to play with the drawer below the oven (is that the broiler?)  Anyway, I was also using the oven.  I felt the oven door to make sure it wasnt hot... it wasnt.  There was also nothing in the broiler drawer... nothing,  not even pans.  He kept pulling up to stand and then plopping down.  All was well.

Well, the last time he pulled up, he pushed on the drawer which shut his arm in the drawer.  He cries, I look down and see his arm stuck. I place my spatula down and pick him up.  He is crying pretty hard for what I think is a pinch of his arm.  I look at his arm and dont see a mark. I see his hand and it has what looks like a little piece of skin pushed back.  I think, "oh the door scratched his hand, not his arm."  I calm him down and we eat dinner.

After he eats, I am cleaning him up and see a HUGE blister on his hand. MOY here doesnt realize until an hour after it happens that he has a 2nd degree burn on his poor little hand.  I didnt eve ice it, I did nothing but casually pat his back to calm him.  MOM FAIL!!!
Doesnt that look awful?

*** As I am typing this, the blister just popped by itself.  Ug! 

I think babies really do have a higher pain tolerance than adults.  I think it hurts to take a shower hours after I burn my hand, but he hasnt cried or fussed about it since it happened.  Maybe my baby is just superbaby. ;)
All bandaged up.  thanks GrandmaDean for the first aid stuff.
Anyway, just a side note, though the oven door may not be hot, the underside of the oven is hot.  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. awwww, poor baby Bennett! Hope it heals quickly. I know I must have a lot of MOY moments too. Can't wait to see that sweet boy and the all of you tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete