Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The soccer connection.

...quite sure that my children would walk onto the sports field and be flat out awesome. I will try to be humble here, but I was quite the athlete and feel confident that with some training could be whipped right back into soccer shape.

Here is a clip from his last game on Fire (team name). He actually does touch the ball in this one (EDIT- actually, I believe he had the assist on that goal)!!! His team is in red.


However, my first soccer mom experience, at the beginning of March, gave me a reality check. Yes, Hunter was the youngest on his team. And no, I dont think he quite comprehends competition yet, but I still expected him to score a goal or attempt to slightly care about the game. I mean in our backyard, he is quite good and has a blast. However, once thrown in with basically complete strangers, he is totally care-free and could careless about the game. It is official that his first ever score was for the other team and it was really his only attempt to go after the ball all year.

As his first season ended yesterday, I came away with a couple things.
  1. His coach was so patient and kind... what a God send
  2. Hunter really did have fun and though I am not so sure... said he wants to play in the fall. And he is already signed up for t-ball.
  3. Though at first I thought is was ridiculous, he loved his trophy and asked me what it did.

  4. I WILL NOT be that parent that pushes their child too much.
  5. Lastly, I need to get a grip. It is U6 soccer for goodness sakes and even if it was high school athletics, I need to relax. By the end of the season, I had my sense of humor back and was able to enjoy the games without preconceived expectations for my poor 4 year old.

1 comment:

  1. Hunter totally reminds me of Tyson playing soccer. He loves to play . . for fun. But will not compete. He will not even try for a goal in a game setting. But if you pull him out of the game he will grab a ball and another kid and play forever.

    ReplyDelete