Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Kitchen is Done!

I have the first room in the house officially complete.  I had to start in the kitchen because, lets be honest, that is where I spend the vast amount of my day.

I loved this kitchen the minute I saw it... you could argue that it sold the house.  It is spacious.  Chad, who is on the larger side, and I can easily move around in the kitchen.  When we have had my family over, 3 or 4 adults can easily be working in the kitchen without interfering with eachother.  With that being said it is not huge.  It is laid out really well. 

It had been totally updated a couple years ago with granite, stainless steel, and nice maple cabinets so the expensive stuff had already been done.  The walls were a nice clean white which I just cant do.  I like white walls... just not in my kitchen. 

Ok enough chatter.

Before


 During the painting process

Surprise surprise,  I striped.  I must say doing diamonds was not my easiest project.  There are definitely some mistakes.  I did start with a template but it wasn't working well so I just starting eye balling it. 
Used plain old masking tape for 2.00 a roll.  I just cant pay 5.00 for a roll of painting tape or frog tape.  I definitely suggest going over the masking tape with the base color before the new color... if nothing else for ease of mind.  For example, I quickly brushed white over the creases of the all the masking tape.

Painted over everything.  Paint color is mountain smoke by Valspar (the kitchen and bath paint- semi gloss).  It is a true dark grey.  The diamonds look glossy here...which I actually really like, however that is just the tape underneath.

Pull the tape back... this is a section behind the fridge where I did not go over with white paint before I applied the grey.  It is not bad but you can see where it bled through a tad.

This one I did go over with white before applying the grey.... much less bleeding.
 
 AFTER
I love it.  I don't think I love it quite as much as the kitchen I did at the old place but when was I ever going to have an all white wall to do this to?  Never!  It adds a real depth to the kitchen and I love the contrast of the grey with the blacks and tans I already had.  Plus it didn't take nearly as long as the other kitchen.
View from kitchen

View from dining room... trying to find a cool storage thingy to put under the table with the computer.  Right now I just have a basket for papers and such and it is a hot mess. 

View from laundry room/ garage ... new barstools from wayfair

was able to reuse my curtains from the old house... perfect fit for both windows.


Don't know which room will be next.  The den/ hallway, laundry, or one of the boy's rooms are calling me right now but I haven't "found" my inspiration just yet.

I will leave you with the best view... the view that I see all the time...

The best view in the house!

2 comments:

  1. Love your kitchen and the awesome paint job! So impressed you get so much done with 4 kids! Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super impressed at your diamonds! I love the color and the contrast. I agree, no white in the kitchen! Love the new bar stools. Can't wait to really see it!

    ReplyDelete