Thursday, February 3, 2011

One Thousand Gifts... Eucharisteo

Before I start my list, I think I should provide a brief background of why I am doing this... Enter book, "One Thousand Gifts."

Eucharisteo is the basis of the book. In a nutshell. Eucharisteo is the Greek word for Thanksgiving or He gave thanks. It is the word used when Jesus broke bread and "gave thanks" or "eucharisteo."

But, it breaks down either further as Greek words do. Eucharisteo has the root word Charis which means grace and it is derived from Chara meaning joy.

From here I will quote Ann as my words would not do it justice.

Ann writes on page 32-33, "Deep chara joy is found only at the table of the euCHARisteo- the table of thanksgiving, I sit there long... wondering... is it that simple?"

"I think this through. As long as thanks is possible, then joy is always possible. Joy is always possible. Whenever, meaning- now; wherever, meaning- here. The holy grail of joy is not in some exotic location or some emotional mountain peak experience. The joy wonder could be here! Here, in the messy, piercing ache of now, joy might be - unbelievably - possible!"

"Grace, thanksgiving, joy. Eucharisteo. A Greek word... that might make meaning of everything?"

P. 60-61
"Daniel is a man of power prayer, not because he bends the stiff knees and makes petitions to the High Throne three times daily. Rather, his prayers move kings and lion jaws because Daniel 'prayed three times a day, just as he had always done, giving thanks to his God.' (Daniel 6:10)"

"Daniel is only a man of prayer because he is man of thanks, and the only way to be a woman of prayer is to be a woman of thanks. And not sporadic, general thanks, but three times a day eucharisteo. Was it the power of everyday thanksgiving prayer that shut the gaping mouths of the lions?"

I am only 1/2 way through my first round of reading the book. I will read again with a highlighter, pen, and Bible in hand next time. I wanted to skim through it first for an overview.

But, I know I want to start my Eucharisteo list now. I have been at it a week and realized that I need to have a couple list going in different locations because I will think of something and then forget it before I sit down and write it. And writing down makes the joy more intense... or more complete for me.

1-The deep breathing of the dog once the house is silent.

2- Mounds of coupons on the living room floor.

3- Hot chocolate made with milk and piled with marshmallows.

4- Fresh coat of paint on the windows outside.

5- Peek-a-boo with a 14 month old

6- Rain falling so hard it drowns out the sound of the TV

7- Naked toddler toddling down the hall as fast as he can go.

8- Uno Moo game over and over and over again with the boys

9- Homemade mac n cheese made with shells.

10- Running my fingers through platinum blond hair

11-Fresh pine needles on the flower beds

12- Wooly socks

13- Metallic finish on photographs.

14- Hunter's joy while doing his "homework"

15- Wedding Rings

16- Safe car seats

17- Handful of dark chocolate Raisenetts first thing in the morning

18- Cold feet on my husband's warm feet when I get into bed at night.

19- Chad not caring that I put my cold feet on his warm feet. :)

20- Powdered sugar smeared on the faces of the boys after devouring a doughnut.

1 comment:

  1. I love your list. It's so specific. It's not the typical I'm thankful for health and family, etc. It makes me want to make my list.

    ReplyDelete