Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Terrible, Horrible, Awful, Very Bad Day

What a day.

Went to take boys to "school" this morning and the van door was not shut all the way = dead battery. Chad had to come home to jump me off.

Get boys to school late and Shep and I head into G-ville. I have to find a semi-formal dress for a Gala this weekend. I was semi- dreading the dress hunt because I am quite the cheapskate and I was having a hard time getting in the shopping mood.

Strike out at Macys and Belk. Head to Stein Mart and find something that will work. Best part- dress is only $30!

Leaving Stein Mart, I am on a main road and notice a yellow "blinking" stop light and think "hmmm that is not a good place for a light to be out." Turns out I was hallucinating. At some point, it turned red and I slammed into an elderly couple in their Toyota sedan... not just an Toyota sedan- a 2011 Toyota sedan. No airbags deploy and the damage is relatively minor. Police come and I get a big fat $240 ticket.

In situations like this I can only look back and be thankful. Shepherd was not hurt. He had a slight red mark on his neck from his carseat belt.
I was not injured at all. The elderly gentlemen was not injured and his wife hit her knee (that she has had replaced at some point) on the dash.. but nothing serious thank the Lord!

Appraiser comes tomorrow to give me an estimate on the van that again thankfully is still driveable. The other couple's sedan didnt make out quite as well and had to be towed (I hit his wheel).



All this happens as I have started really moving closer to God. Funny, in an ironic sense, how the devil does this. A few days ago I started the challenge from the book that I am reading, "One Thousand Gifts," and that is to make a list of 1000 things you are thankful for. I will collect through the week and then post them every Thursday starting tomorrow.

As I have had time to reflect on today... I realize how temporary life is. In the big scheme of things this was a little accident, yet it definitely brought me to my knees and gave me a whole new sense of Thanksgiving.

On a lighter note, I will definitely post pictures of what has turned out to be my $800 dress this weekend after the Gala.

And, just for my sake. Go ahead and slow way down for blinking yellow lights just in case you are imagining them blinking AND when at a stoplight, when it turns green- glance to make sure someone who is imagining a blinking yellow light is not coming through anyway.

Just to make you or me smile! Gotta love this face.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah! I'm so sorry! I'm glad you and Shep and the couple are all okay. I pray that the devil will back off and that God's hand will be on you in all of this. Call me if you want tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bad day...so glad you guys were OK.

    ReplyDelete