Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Bunch of Randomness

All of these technically deserve their own post, however since they all happen together than they get posted together.

Let's start with Ashton... he had his 3 year old check up today. He is still a peanut but not as much as last year. He has gained 5 lbs this year and hit the 30 lb mark.. which is the 30 something percentile. His height is in the mid 40% percentile at 37 1/2" (so he grew 2 1/2" this year)
This is probably my most exciting news!!!! I am done breastfeeding/ pumping. I have a little more than 3 weeks frozen so I will easily hit Shep's first birthday! I am so glad that I was able to do this for his first year. I made it to the 9 month mark with the first two, so I was hopeful that since I stay at home now I would make it to the year mark! And I did!!!!
This is just an adorable picture of my big boy!
Lastly, I will try not to get on my soap box. But, anybody who knows me at all, knows that I really dislike Halloween. I believe the devil is just far too happy on that day, so I dont like it. I would be quite happy if my kids never did or dare I say, celebrate (gag) Halloween. I wish we just could skip the whole day.
Tack on the cost of candy and costumes and it is quite the expensive occassion. To outfit my 3 boys, I could have easily dropped $50 (and that is being conservative). Add that to all three of them having fall birthdays (Oct, Nov, and Dec) and that butting right up to Christmas and you have a very poor family by the end of the year!!
So, when I was informed that Hunter could wear his "costume" to preschool today so they could go around the church and get candy, I have to admit, I was a bit stumped.I struggled back and forth whether a 4 year old would understand why all the kids in his class were dressed up and he wasnt. I prayed about it (you may chuckle as in the big scheme of things this is probably a small decision)- I didnt want him to wonder why mommy talks about how she dislikes Halloween but then lets him dress up.
I did have a costume on hand as last year we did do a Trunk or Treat at a church. I went to the attic and dug out the pirate costume and let Hunter wear his costume to school.
I dont want this to sound like I am saying it is wrong to Trick or Treat or that I judge those that do... because I dont and I hope it does not come across that way. The Lord has simply put this on my mind and until I figure out exactly what He is telling me, I will air on the side of caution and not participate.
Here is Hunter dressed up for school today. Though he makes an adorable pirate, I still wish we could skip it altogether!


2 comments:

  1. I completely am with you! Next year Noah will be at school with us and they came around today to 'trick or treat' from the classrooms. what do I do? Do I let Noah dress up and then explain why we don't "do" halloween or do we not let him dress up and he feels weird and left out? At least Hunter is 4 and can somewhat reason your explanations. I hate that day too and all that it stands for. Such a difficult thing to get your kids through without compromising your beliefs but safe guarding your kids from teasing/confusion/doubt/isolation at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big fan of Halloween either. But, it's far too ingrained in our culture for me to ignore completly. I simply try to keep it light and fun for my family. The boys dress up, but I don't think I will ever let them be anything scary/gorey. I let them trick-or-treat, but only on our street. My theory is to teach my children to live "in the world" without being "of the world." Does that makes sense? I respect your courage to follow your heart.

    ReplyDelete