Wednesday, October 5, 2016

He is the Shepherds

August 16, 2011 and January 17, 2012  - two dates, etched in my mind, where my oldest two kids acknowledged that they are chosen children.  Last night, Shepherd made the same acknowledgement.  We could not be more proud of the young man Shepherd is becoming. He is fun loving and kind, goofy and smart, creative and patient.

As parents know, the bedtime routine is chaotic (chaotic is actually not a strong enough term.)  It becomes a routine, a checklist to get each kid bathed, Bible storied, prayed with, and watered.  Last night it was no different.  It was after Shepherd's normal bedtime of 8:00.  I had just prayed with him and Bennett and was making the mad dash to the door to when Shepherd says, "how do I know if I am going to heaven?"

I pause by the door, the doorknob in my hand, ready to pull it shut- to close them off in their room for the night.  I take a deep breath, knowing the magnitude of what his little mind is thinking.  At that moment, my 6 1/2 year old, free spirited, goofy child is thinking eternally.

I go to his bed and sit.  "Well, you go to heaven by being a child of God.  And to be a child of God, you have to be picked by Him and He lives in your heart.  We can pray right now and thank God for his gift to save you.  You can pray for Him to forgive you and tell Him that you always want Him to be you King."

He says he wants to pray.  So, we do.  I hug him and he is joy-filled, smiling from ear to ear.  I remind him that the prayer did not save him, Jesus did.  The prayer shows Jesus that you know you need Him.

I have to force myself not to complicate the simplicity of salvation.  Salvation by its very definition is "something that saves someone or something from danger or a difficult situtation."  Salvation is a gift- our Rescuer comes and removes His children from a dangerous situation.  We dont even have the arms and hands to accept the rescuing- Christ reaches down with His blood stained hands and pulls me to Him.  His blood was poured out on His chosen and once that blood is on you, you are HIS... end of story.  Thank the Lord that no decision that Shepherd makes (that I make) can release him (me) from the bond of Christ's blood.

Thank you Jesus that now, 3 of my kids have confirmed that the blood of Jesus is on them. The responsibility of being a chosen, child is so immense.  

A verse that I want the boys to memorize is Joshua 1:9.  I found a great print of this verse that is by our back door- my hope is that they read it every time they step out into the world.  Just like a football player rubs a rock for good luck or taps a sign as they run onto the field- I hope the boys read these reads words.  The print is very abbreviated and it simply says "Be Brave."

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Shepherd, we are so proud of you.  You are a covenant child.  Be brave kiddo.  Be brave!

1 comment:

  1. So beautifully written and captured, Hannah. Praise God for revealing His work in Shepherd! Praying for Shep's heart to continue to be responsive to the Holy Spirit and to yearn for Christ and for your mama heart as you bring up these sweet boys in the nurture and admonition of God.

    ReplyDelete