Sunday, October 16, 2016

Hall of Fame Induction

Soccer has always been my passion. I started playing in 4th grade and it never got old.  I wasnt one to burn out.  I just wanted to play.

After my last high school season, I knew that I didnt want my playing career to be over.  I also knew that I wanted to go into a program and make an immediate impact- no sitting the bench or waiting my turn.  Concord University was the perfect fit.  My family lived in WV at the time so I wanted to stay at an in-state school for the cheaper tuition.

Coach Steve Barrett was brand new to Concord when we stopped in (in 1999), out of the blue, to check out the campus.  Turns out, I was his first recruit.
My Ashton loved how they called me Ashton-Smith.  Since I got married my summer before my senior year, I decided to hyphenate my last name for soccer stuff for name recognition. 

Saturday, I was inducted into the Athletic Hall of Fame.  I feel kind of braggy saying that.  I was very surprised this past spring when I got a call from the athletic director at CU saying that I had been nominated and voted in to be a 2016 inductee.  I always knew that I was a pretty good player, but I never imagined when I walked on the Concord soccer field in 2000 that my career would end with this award.

Thank you to all the family that made the trek up to CU this weekend.  My mom and dad and grandma drove up with the boys and me Friday night.  We stayed in a quaint little lodge (thanks for paying mom and dad).  My in-laws and Chad drove up early Saturday morning for the reception.  And, Sandee and her family were able to come up as well for the game.  (Also, thanks to mom and my mother-in-law for taking over camera duty.  I am normally the one wearing the camera so thank you for documenting this event for me. And thanks to GrandmaDean for watching the boys during the very long reception.)

The reception was at 9:30.  I asked my dad to be my presenter and he gave a nice speech and even teared up at the end.  I had no idea that I had to speak until we got there... I had to wing it.  Turns out my mannerisms are very similar to my father.



 This series of pics makes me laugh.  I had no idea I talked with hands!!!





Brunch- definitely Shep's favorite part.
2016 Inductees





The plaque that will hang in the athletic center.
 Homecoming football started at 1:00.  It was so hot... too hot for an October football game in WV.

Where these kiddos got their start


waiting for my name to be called


The boys and the girls

Sandee and her family

My crew

Crazy to think that us 4 stood right here 15 years ago... Chad was playing his last year at Concord and Tommy was playing his first.  A lot has changed!
 Let me just add, WV is really one of the prettiest places on the east coast.  I had forgotten how gorgeous it is... especially this time of year.

By the lake at the lodge he stayed in
So pretty.
I am so thankful that God's sovereign hand steered me to Concord.  A lot of good came out of these mountains!


No comments:

Post a Comment