Thursday, April 9, 2015

Easter Break- Part 2- The Good and Bad

As great as our Easter Break started, it quickly took a turn for awful.

***This post is not for the weaker stomached people.

Let me back up.  The Tuesday before break (Mar 24), I had an appointment with a general surgeon for a hernia above my belly button that I have had since I was pregnant with Ashton.  I also wanted him to look at a "growth/ cyst" on my forearm.  This growth came up last September/ October when I was doing work in the shed.  In February, while shooting a bow n arrow, I grazed the knot with the string and noticed a few days later significant growth.
The original knot.  I thought it was a spider bite.  I marked it with a pen to see if it changed.  

Anyway, the general surgeon was not sure what it was and sent me to have a MRI that Friday.  I was then scheduled to see him again the next Tuesday (the 31st- during spring break week).  He, then, broke the news to me that he believed that it was a soft tissue tumor which he thought was probably soft tissue sarcoma (cancer.)  Based on the MRI, he thought the tumor was laced within my muscle and that I needed to see an ocologist.  He got me an appointment to see a cancer doctor on Monday, April 6.

Needless to say, I/ my family/ friends were shell shocked by this.  Sarcoma is a rare form of cancer and I had none of the risk factors.

A friend of ours has a relative who is a oncologist in Spartanburg.  A phone call to this relative, who then referred me to a great surgical oncologist who managed to see me and squeeze me for a biopsy on the Thursday of Spring break sped the "not knowing" process up tremendously. The whole process from hearing I may have cancer to getting a biopsy was 2 days.  I was and still am so thankful the waiting was not long.
This is the knot 2 days ago after the biopsy (the red mark and bruising is from biopsy).  But, you can see how much it grew from October to April.  You can also notice my nice of a tan I still had in October and how lily white I am now.
I got the results back from the biopsy on Monday and thankfully it is not cancer but some type of fibroma (derma something fibro something).  Surgery is still going to happen as the thing is quite an eye sore and it if it continues to grow it will hit some pretty important blood vessels and arteries.

You know, there are moments in your life where your perspective shifts.  Where you rearrange priorities and look at things differently.... this was one of those moments.  It reminded me to be more present in the now.  Make my words and actions count.  Focus on others.  The list could go on and on.

I want to thank...
~Chad for handling everything in just the right way.  He was (relatively) cool about the whole thing.  ha
~Mom for taking me to the last appointment and the comic relief
~Jay for calling your uncle
~Dr Hunter and Dr Nguyen  and Dr Freedman for taking it so seriously yet still giving me peace... for working me in on such short notice.
~All my sweet friends and family who sent encouraging words or Bible truths/ verses.  I should do a blog post on some of the words of wisdom that came in through email and text.  You guys all uplifted me and gave me peace that I know is found through people approaching the Throne on my behalf.

On a funny note, I thought it would be good if I semi prepared the boys for bad news.  If nothing else, I wanted them to be able to pray for me if they felt led.  As I was telling them that it might be cancer, Hunter turned his head from me and was really quiet. He then came back to me a few hours later and asked me some specific questions. Ashton looked surprised and then in the next 30 minutes was telling me repeatedly that he didnt want me to die.  Shepherd, during my serious speech, was singing "Its Raining Tacos." (Should you want to hear the song, just click on the title- I personally wouldnt click on it because it is beyond ridiculous). I dont know if the reactions were age based or personality based (or a mixture or both.)  But I found all three refreshing and comforting in a twisted kind of way.

To top off our magnificent (sarcasm) spring break, Chad got a NASTY case of poison ivy by helping his dad cut down a rotted tree.  I had no idea he was that allergic to the stuff.  He is on the mend though, still itching my crazy, but with his meds it is getting better.
An awful patch on Chad's side.  He had it everywhere.... and yes, I mean EVERYWHERE!
So, again, I say thank you to all those that prayed for us last week and into this week.  It was one of those weeks that I dont want to relive but is a great reminder that even if tough times, God is still good and I am still His.

All's Grace!!!

PS- I should add that during this waiting period, we kept quite busy with the remainder of our Spring Break.  Chad, Hunter,  and Ashton went to a Charlotte Hornets basketball game.  He watched a few innings of the Clover/ York baseball game, we went to Carowinds with friends on Good Friday (NEVER AGAIN), and we worshipped with our church family and had Easter lunch with GrandmaDean, Aunt Frances, and Nolan.  All these events did a pretty good job on keeping our minds off the C word.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, that thing is huge. I was thinking marble sized tumor...not golf/tennis ball! Holy cow! I'm so glad it's not the c word. God is good! Chad's side looks awful. Poor guy. Mark that Spring Break down in the books... love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just aren't words to describe the emotions of last week.....the ole Baptist hymn "Leaning on the Everlasting Arms" comes to mind.....no pun intended!
    Going with Hannah on Thursday to the Gibbs Cancer Center was eye-opening about the fraility of life....enjoy each day!

    ReplyDelete