Thursday, April 23, 2015

Crib is Gone and Walls are Painted

*** A post on my recent surgery will be coming later.  Recovery is going well... doing my best to take it easy.  But until the surgery post, here is what I was doing before surgery....

I am a bit late in announcing that my house, basically for the first time in 9.5 years, is CRIB FREE.  I will be honest, I had to work at feeling too sad about this new phase.  Everyone knows I love babies, I still love to hold them and love on them, but I can say that I am so happy that my baby days are done.  I teared up for maybe half a minute, then did a happy dance around the crib free room. :)

Bennett had been climbing out of the crib and it just felt right to take it down... so take it down I did.  Bennett's first official night in a big boy bed was Mar 23.  And, like all the other boys, he took right to it.  We made a big deal out of him moving to a big boy bed and he just ate it up. 

Growing up so fast

A couple weeks before I took the crib down, I decided to rearrange which brothers roomed together.  When we first moved here it made sense for Hunter and Bennett to be together as Hunter slept super hard.  But, things change and Bennett sleeps much better at night.  Ashton and Shepherd, though they love one another, get in trouble a lot for fighting with one another.  We needed a place to send each kid to chill out.  Hunter, though he never complained, is getting a little old to be rooming with his 2 year old brother.  And, Shepherd and Bennett play so well together now as well.  It was time to rearrange the rooms by birth order.  Hunter moved in with Ashton and Shepherd moved in with Bennett.  This has worked so well (except for Shepherd getting up to pee at 6:30 am on the dot which often wakes Bennett up). 

Bennett and his roomie, Shep

Once the room rearranging was successful and the crib take down was complete, it was finally time to decorate the back bedroom (Bennett and now Shepherds).  I had neglected to do anything to it since we moved in as I knew things would change.  But, I got the burr up my butt to do it... and so I did.  While I was at it, I went ahead and painted out Ashton and Hunter's room in the same color.  Both rooms had the flat, builder grade paint which I hate.  I decided to use Bay Sands (Valspar), which if you remember is the same color I used for the plywood walls in the shed.  It is an awesome, crisp neutral that goes well with tans or greys. 

Before



After
Yep, I brought back a different variation of the stripes.  I just cant help myself.  Also, painted the furniture a greyish color.

Before


After
My aunt has given me a bunch of furniture from one of her old rooms.  She had matching twin beds (the other one is still at her house, should get it soon), a desk (in H and A's), a bookcase (currently in homeless in garage), a desk chair (in H and A's room), twin mattress and boxspring (Shep has boxspring (GrandmaDean gave me the twin mattress on Shep
s bed), Bennett has mattress)).  Basically, I am one glorious charity case. ha ha


 Close up on the picture clusters.

Shepherds


I found the map in my Great Aunt and Uncles house.  My great aunt just sold her lifetime home and we were rummaging around with the last remaining things in the workshop.  This map is at least 50 or 60 years old and shows this area from that time.  It was basically distigrating when I pulled it off the wall, but I just loved it.  So, I found this old frame in my garage and just taped the map back together. 

I got the "Dount Count the Sheep, Talk to the Shepherd" sign a year or so ago.  Of course I immediately thought of my Shep because he is my only child that has ever been scared of the dark or had bad dreams. 

close up of map



Bennett's

The "No Smoking" sign was also a find in my great aunts workshop.  Hopefully, osmosis will do the trick and my kids will never be tempted to smoke.

As I mentioned before, the plane pictures are prints from GrandpaGordie's days.  He worked on many of these planes during his time in the Navy.  I didn't put all the planes back up, just picked my favorites.

And Hunter and Ashton's room.  Only a few little changes here and there.
Attached the mirror to dresser.  Painted the "T" in a greyish navy.

Simplified this wall a bit. Added a desk (painted in the same color as the dressers... also painted and added the dresser in the back corner".) 

Not much change here.  The biggest change is that this is definitely the big boy room now.  There are no toys in this room at all.  There is a phone charger, a reading lamp, sports stuff, and two desks but no toys!  Gosh, they are GROWING UP!!!
So happy with the two rooms.  The boys all love it.  Bennett is still in awe when he walks into his room and runs to his bed. 

Price Breakdown  (for those who care about such things)
Shep and B's room
- 2 new twin duvet- PB Outlet - $20 a piece (didn't buy the filler thingy, just stuffed the old comforter inside).
- Paint- 1 gallon- Bay Sands- $35 ($5 rebate)
           - sample- Fabulous Red- $3 (the sample was just enough to do the stripe and to paint the "S"
           - sample- Navy (had this sample for a long time and the color was worn off).  I have never painted with a navy that I didn't like though.
           - I already had the paint for the furniture... don't know the color.  It is slightly different than what I painted H and A's furniture though)
- Letter "S"- Hobby Lobby - $10 (or something like that- already had the "B"

I am still waiting on the bed for Bennett.  My aunt has the matching one at her house.  And then the only other thing I have to buy is a twin boxspring.

Not too shabby.  H and A's room cost under $10 to finish up.

Thanks again to those in the family who gave me so many pieces of furniture.  Both rooms are a hodge podge but came together really well!

2 comments:

  1. PB should do a feature on you. I love the two rooms. You are sooo talented when it comes to frugal decorating that looks like a million bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Tox does love her some projects.....I agree, Olivia, she needs to do this for a living. I can vouch that the rooms really look as good as the pictures show....and Bennett is SO proud of his big boy bed - he just glows when he shows you his new place.

    ReplyDelete