Saturday, April 18, 2015

Have Courage and Be Kind. Cinderella Movie

Though I am not a girly girl, I have always loved the fairy tale movies.  Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella were... and still are right up my alley.  I could easily curl up on the couch and enjoy watching any of these movies.

But, I have boys.  Four boys.  Four boys who love Power Rangers, Ninjago, Super heroes, wrestling, and all things boy like.  Thankfully, I happen to love these things too (well maybe not Ninjago, I just struggle with that one a bit).  I have never felt like I was "missing out" because I didnt have a girl to share my girly girl things.  When the new Cinderella movie came out, I knew that I needed to see it.  More importantly, I knew my boys needed to see it.

Why?  Why did these all boy, wild, loud, little men need to see this movie?

1- As I mentioned in a previous post, all men must learn to endure a chick flick.  Whether at the age of 7 and watching Cinderella to all grown up and watching The Notebook.  Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and act like you like it.

2- In a house dominated with male energy (and with the one female not being emotional), my boys need to see the sensitive side to things.  Girls are different in their responses to things... ie, they are more apt to cry, less likely to throw a punch.  Though chick flicks show an extreme side (normally) of this sensitive side, I still think it is good them to see.

3- I want them to see that even chick flicks have conflict.  You dont have to have to knock down drag outs in a movie.  Conflict can happen with words and words can hurt.  As the movie today said, "Names have power."  It is also a good way to show that conflict can be solved without a physical fight as right now, physical fights seem to be the only way the know to settle a disagreement.

I also think the reverse is true, I think it is good for girls to see a good super hero movie.  To me, watching "gender specific" movies is a great glimpse inside the opposite gender.

The parts of Cinderella that I enjoyed just so happened to be the parts the boys didnt care for- the dancing, the kiss, the pretty dresses.  They enjoyed.... the sad parts, the conflict, the personification of the animals (who am I kidding, I loved that part too).
This is a horrible picture but it proves we were there.  

My date with my boys was great fun.  They were good sports about being a full theater full of little girls, teenage girls, and grown up girls. They were well behaved and Shepherd only burped out loud once.  I consider it a success!

On a funny note... on the way back home.
Chad - "You and the actress who played Cinderella could have been sisters.  You looked a lot alike."
Me- "hmm"
Chad- "Yeah, the brown eyes and the slightly bigger front teeth."
Me- "ha ha ha ha"

Um... thank you?  Boys, if you are reading this.  Think about your "compliments" before you voice them.  I knew Chad was meaning it as a compliment as obviously, the actress was very pretty but just- think before you speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment