Sunday, October 26, 2014

When You Are as Awesome as Ashton

Seven years ago I held this perfect baby boy with blonde hair.  I actually don't know if  I have ever seen as much blonde hair on a newborn.... lots of dark hair, sure... but not blonde.  But, Ashton had it this shiny platinum hair.  And, he still does.  Anytime I try to find him in a crowd, it only takes a second to spot his white head. 
The day he was born.

6 months old... one of my favorite pictures. :)





Right after his party.  We all look tired from our busy party day but had such a good time.


Ironically, though his hair is the lightest, I would say his eyes are the least bright in their blue color.  Often taking a greyish blue tint.  His eyes also tell everything about his mood.  He gets dark circles under his eyes if he is tired.  When really tired, the circle spread deep under his eye.  His eyes squint up when he is mad and sparkle when his is being feisty. He is an infectious laugh... one that when I hear it, I normally tense up as I know that whatever he is laughing at is probably totally inappropriate. However, I cant help but laugh with him (normally.)
The birthday boy waiting in line at Carowinds.

Speaking of his laugh, he is mouthy... always wanting to get the last word whether with his brothers, his parents, or on the soccer field.  He is soooo smart.  I always called him my athlete, but the kid has some brains up their too.  After his parent/ teacher conferences last week, we saw his MAP scores were in the 90% for reading and 92% for math.  He is reading at a "J" which is where he should be reading at the end of 1st grade.  His comprehension is great as well as he can explain to me everything he is reading.  He has started to read his Bible story at night to me and Shepherd.  He is loving a book series called, Amulet.  Hunter introduced him to it and he will sit for an hour reading.... I love it as I can (and totally do) the same thing.

As I mentioned, he still loves sports and will talk on and on about football (from high school to college to professional).  Soccer is also one of his loves and he is amazing.  The ball sticks to his foot like it is glued there and he moves like the ball is apart of him.  He is fun to watch.  He has scored countless goals this year. 
 

 
---------------------------------------------------------
This was Ashton's year for the big party.  We had a Tailgating Football party at our house last Saturday.  Thankfully, we were able to get most people here.  We had over 20 adults and 19 kids (from 7 months to 9 years old).  I think it was a success as Ashton said it was the best birthday party ever. 



Here are some pictures from the day.  I didn't take that many which as someone said is a sign that I was enjoying myself... which was true. 
 

 

All the kids.  These kids are seriously the best of the best! Kids (and adults) were asked to wear their team colors... as you can see, lots of Clemson fans.
Front (L to R)- Seth, Caelum, Owen, Esme, Ashton, North, Bennett
Back (L to R)- Shepherd, Charlee, Sami, Logan, Luke, Noah H, Hunter, Noah T, Kaleb, Lydia, Carly, Miller

 

The boys idea of play

The girls (and in this case, Shepherd's ) idea of play

The adults idea of play

Singing Happy Birthday

Blowing out the candles
 A couple of the little ones.... Bennett and Carly


Pinata pile up

The boys after the party

 


And for his actual birthday today, the boys and I went to Carowinds after church... Chad works Sundays from 2 - 8 so he couldn't come.  We let him open his presents and all yesterday so Carowinds was the last big birthday treat (except for taking doughnuts to his class tomorrow.)

Here are a couple Carowinds pics.



On the balloon ride.  Bennett and I went in one and the other three went in the other. 


Ashton and his brothers on his birthday.


Seven years ago Smash changed my world.  He has brought me so much laughter and joy.  He has also managed to make me more angry than the other three probably combined (though Shepherd is starting to give him a run).  Though we often butt heads, it is because he is a strong, opinionated man in the making. 

I know that he is a covenant child of the Most High God.  He is chosen and I am so grateful that I get to witness where God takes this beautiful blondie that we call Smash.

Happy Birthday kiddo!  I love you so much.

1 comment:

  1. It was a fun birthday party...."Ash Smash Poodin' Pash" was in his glory. All of us see Grandpa Gordy in this kid and how affirming it is to know that our Father gives us glimpses of His heavenly loved ones through His earthly loved ones. I love this kid!

    ReplyDelete