Saturday, July 28, 2012

Homeschoollng Unit 2

Another unit down and it went really well.

We are still waiting on the other Bible to get here to make the reading portion just a tad easier.  I have to admit that he is doing a bit better with the harder Bible- I do still want the other one though for a smoother transition.

Math-  working on the 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 addition family (this is still a huge review for him).  We have been making number sentences by using drawing pictures and then using counters for the picture.  For example, I drew two trees and had 8 pieces of dry cereal that we moved to make the number sentences.  You can see our number sentences for 10 in picture #1.

Poetry- The poem this week was Father, We Thank Thee.  We didnt spend much time trying to memorize but Hunter really enjoyed illustrating this poem.  The poem is puzzled together in picture 1 and then  picture 2 is where he illustrated it.

Language Arts-  Another 100 on the Spelling test.  Again, on list 2 instead of list 1.  His words are in  picture 1.  I love how his daily reading has almost every spelling word incorporated.    We also briefly introduced run-ons and the importance of periods.  He directed me where to punctuate run on sentences and told me that Mrs. Dockins (K5 teacher) told them that they forgot to use a period too often.

History-  Love the History selection.  This week we focused on the English settlers coming to Jamestown, VA.   We read a selection out the book that has fictional characters in a real life setting.  I didnt totally love the History Activity this week as it seemed sub par to the rest of the unit.  Basically, we did a timeline of birthdays in our family.  I think it did help him see the way a timeline works though as we will do a continual time line of all important history dates throughout the year.

Science-  No cute Science activity this week.  We read and discussed about different large mammals and rodents.  Hunter loved it because he was able to pull out some Wild Kratts knowledge.

Art- The craft was from the story of Ruth which was the History/ Bible lesson for Day 5.  In picture two below (black fan looking thing) is a field of grain where Ruth was able to pick up the small pieces that fell.  Honestly, dont think they turned out too cute (nothing like the shields from Unit 1).

Bible-  The verse in this unit was Galations 6:9-  "Let us not become tired of doing good.  At the right time we will gather up a crop if we don't give up."  The verse was perfect for our History pioneer lessons and the story on Ruth.  Love hearing him memorize these verses!

Picture #1
Picture 2

There it is - a quick summary of Unit 2.  He did make me chuckle this week.  Over the summer, I have Bible Study on Tuesday  mornings so I told him that on Tuesdays thru the summer we would not do school.  Well, Jodi (my Bible study leader) was out of town this past Tuesday and I told Hunter we would probably do school on Tuesday.  He held me to my original plan of no school Tuesday.  Needless to say, I caved and we played hookie!  :)  Just another benefit to homeschooling!

1 comment:

  1. Just the fact that he is learning about early American history makes me smile - he'll learn the truth through classical Christian education...will keep you in my prayers.
    Love the story of Ruth - so timely!

    ReplyDelete