Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lets Take a Walk

 Can I just say I LOVE spring and working out in the yard? Lately, I have just enjoyed wandering around the yard which totally reminds me of my mom and GrandmaDean.  For as long as I can remember, they would just wander around their yards.  I have always enjoyed light (or is it lite?) yardwork, but it wasnt until we bought this house with the "diamond in the rough" yard that I fell in love with getting dirt under my nails and creating pretty spaces with God's land.

There are many people who read my blog who I dont get to see often enough, so let's take a quick "walk" around the yard.  If you were to walk around my yard right now, this is what you would see.
The Front Yard

Daylilies pushing up through fresh pine needles

The prettiest (and my favorite color) iris' blooming everywhere

A birthday gift in its new home
What are these?  Bluebells, maybe.  Whatever they are, they are courtesty of GrandmaDeans yard and they are coming up in places I dont remember planting them)

My 1st love- monkey grass.  again, from GrandmaDean and GrandpaGordies.  I think I am about to the point that I can start splitting mine.

New growth from the gardenia. Cant wait to smell as I walk through my front door.
Brilliant color lining the side bed

Knock out rose bushes putting on tons of new growth after Feb trim.

The Back Yard
Under massive magnolia- this groundcover is spreading like wildfire and I love it.  Look at the petite yellow flower.
My new/ 2nd love- Creeping Jenny.  This is courtesy of mom's yard and if you need a spreader of a groundcover, this is your girl.  I have this stuff everywhere now!
Massive "shrub" of rosemary.  I clip on this thing all the time when cooking and she keeps on growing
I so wish dogwoods would keep these blooms on longer.
Dogwood
Lorapetalum, one of my new favorite shrubs. 
Entrance to a mini garden
Broccoli and Romaine- we also have spinach and green peppers.  I think okra, watermelon, squash, and corn are going to be making an apperance as well.  I think we have enough room. 

"Our forest" and the power wheels trails.

Firepit and hardscape.

The boys fortress
A spring yard for little boys just can't be complete without a baseball diamond (the fall is a soccer field).


To finish up our "walk", I guess I have to show the ugly parts to.  This is the current project in the corner of the backyard.  This whole area was Covered (with a capital C) with weeds.  The space is about 84 feet long by 21 feet wide so it is a fairly substantial area.  It feels like I have been pulling weeds non stop out there.  My dad told me about putting cardboard down and then putting pine needles or mulch on top.  The cardboard prohibits the weeds from coming up and as it decompasses it is good for the soil.  I tried it in a smaller area last year and it seemed to work well, so I got ahold of a bunch of boxes that I have to breakdown and puzzle together.  Then hopefully only 2 more van loads of pine needles and I can check this off my list.



God is truly amazing in these beautiful spring gifts.  To think that He knows how to lift my spirit with colors of flowers, texture of dirt, the sight of an earthworm, the prickliness of pine needles, and the warmth of the sun brings me such joy.  He truly works everything together for my good.






2 comments:

  1. Great post. I don't remember your back yard being that big! LOVE the baseball diamond! Noah would have a blast out there. Can't wait until we visit...which we need to nail down a date!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I have spent 11 long hours inside a grimy portable filled with endless complaints - my soul was so weary on the way home....ole Wart could not even muster up the will to sing in the car....not good. After I did that ceremonious walk around my yard, I plopped down, kind of depressed (which, again, rarely happens), and checked your e-mail. Without a doubt, the Lord is using you to encourage your mom...I stand amazed at many things - your yard being one of them. Blessings, my child!

    ReplyDelete