Thursday, November 11, 2010

To my Veterans.

... blessed my entire life to have great dad and grandpa.

Not only have these two men been pillars of my family but they have been prepared to give everything for our nation, our family, and for me.

My Dad... Mantis (for those who dont know me well, yes, that is a nickname that everyone uses)
My dad is amazing. He joined the United States Air Force at my mom's prompting before I was born. He served for 15 years and retired early (which he regrets to this day). I believe he would jump right back into active duty if they would let him. I have learned more about respecting our nation and our flag through him and my mom. I was given the opportunity to live up and down the entire east coast (from Maine to SC) and even Germany and wouldn't change those moves for anything. If you know Mantis, you see how he and the military were a perfect fit.

GrandpaGordon

My GrandpaGordie served in the United States Navy as an enlisted man for my mom's childhood. He was often deployed for long stints and had to leave my GrandmaDean and their two daughters. I often complain about Chad's 80+ hour work weeks during football season and when thinking about deployment versus coaching hours, I realize I should shut my mouth. GrandpaGordie has instilled a true reverence for our nation and the sacrifice that accompanies my freedom. He will still tell you all about it if you give him your ear!

My other grandfather even served in the military/ Army (though he died long before I was born). He received a purple heart while fighting. So to say that red, white, and blue pulses through my veins is an understatement. If it wasn't for my fear of boot camp, it would be fairly accurate to say that I would have joined the military. And I have this sinking suspicion that I will be the mom of at least one military man. I just cant see the military link skipping more than one generation.

More important than their service to America, they have served Jesus and modeled Him to my brothers and me. Just as GrandpaGordie would share his war stories, he will share Jesus to anyone. My dad has always been faithful with studying the Bible and has had a deep desire to know Him more. He challenges me in my walk and prompts me to study and know my facts.

Thank you dad and my GrandpaGordie for being willing to give it all. I am proud to call me you my dad and grandpa and you can be assured that I will train my boys as I was trained.

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment