Monday, December 17, 2018

Books...

When is the last time I did a book post?!?!?  I tried to go back and look... was it really 2016?  

The one thing that has taken the biggest hit with me going back to work is my amount of reading.  I think once I get home, my eyes have already been working- reading, staring at a computer screen- that by the time I am home, I am just not in the mood to read.

I still read to each kid at night- sometimes it is 4-15 minute sessions if they are all on different books.  Sometimes it is read to Bennett and then the older 3 for 30 minutes.  So any little bit of reading desire I have is spent of them- it is a good thing I love young adult/ children's fiction.  Seriously great genre.  :)

Here are some things that I am reading either on my own or to the boys or some things that I have already read. 

Ok, so this stack was from March.  I was reading all of these at the same time and finished all but 1.
I will just summarize from the base of the stack.

Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist.
   I read this book with some friends for a Wednesday night book club.  Out of 10 stars, I give it a 7.  It is ok.  My friend Jodi loved it so, like with any read, it will speak to you where you are.  Though I am super busy, I dont feel overcomitted or feel like I need to go out of my way to reign my family back in.  

  I love the Enneagram.  This book though didnt do much for me.  If you want to learn about the enneagrem, I would recommend starting with The Road Back to You.  I read that last one last summer and it was oh, so good.

  I wound up reading this on my way own.  Ashton and I were going to read it together but the little snot got so caught up in it, he got so far ahead of me and finished before I did.  I do like this series a lot though.   I think Ashton has already read the 3rd too.  He is way ahead of me!

Age of Opportunity - Paul Tripp
  This book is good.  Parenting books and the likes are slow reads for me.  I think my brain will only absorb so much at a time.  I am still making my way through this one but not because it is not good but because I read a couple chapters and then put it away for a bit.  I highlight and underline and make notes so it will be a good reference for me as my kids all approach these teen years.

Chasing Francis - Ian Morgan Cronn
  Read this book!  Loved it!  The author of The Road Back to You wrote it but it is fiction.  It is about a pastor who just hit a roadblock in his faith.  It is about his quest to follow the teachings of Francis of Assissi.  Really good book to just to stop and think and marvel at our God.

The Last Ballad - Wiley Cash
  My mom recommended it after telling my GrandmaDean about it.  It is based in a mill town in the late 1920's.  It mentions in great detail the mill town where GrandmaDean grew up.  It is historical fiction and it feels personal to me because of where it is based.  

North! or be Eaten- Andrew Peterson
   This is book 2 from the Wingfeather Sage that my sister-in- law Anna recommended for the boys.  I read book 1 to Hunter and Ashton a year or so ago. Shep and I just went through book 1 this past spring.  We bought book 2 a month or so ago and are making our way through this (the older 3 and I).
These books have great conversation starters as it refers to the "Maker." 

And forgive me if I have already mentioned these books for boys.  I tried to go back on the blog to see if talked about them and I dont think I have.

Prince Warrior Series- Priscilla Shirer
  I think I mentioned this amazing series in a birthday post but these are great first chapter books for elementary age kiddos.  We read these when we were still in Clover.  Hunter and Ashton read them on their own and I read to Shep (we would have been 6-7 at the time.)  Though Bennett is not quite on listening to chapter books, he is getting close to being able to pay attention to this as I read it.  
  We had some great discussions on the Armor of God and on the unseen world.  Highly recommend.

   I loved Hunger Games so when I saw the Suzanne Collins had written a children's series, I was all over it.  Hunter and Ashton flew through these books.  Shep and I read the first 3 together.  He will probably go back and finish on his own this year (but his brother's did tell him a spoiler so who knows?)  We all enjoyed the action, pace, and characters in this series.

   I read this when I was little.  Some books just leave a mark on you.  This was one of those books.  This was a book H, A, S, and I read at night this summer.  It is set during World War 1 in Poland.  It follows a young boy and his journey to stay alive while maintaining his faith.  


My goals for the boys.  
Bennett- He picks whatever book he wants at night.  He then does a page of The Reading Lesson.  He is on Chapter 14 - it takes him about one month to make it through a chapter since we are only doing a page a day.  
Below is one of the stories from Chapter 10.  Bennett needs a few prompts but for the most part, he can sit and read this level of material.  
     "burt said, I am big.  I am bigger than you.  Then he said he can run faster then me. Then he said he was taller than me. Stop it Burt, you brag a lot."
We then read a Bible story.  The Action Bible is still one of my favorites for boys.

Shepherd is on book 4 of Harry Potter.   I also really want Shep to read the Mr Benedict books.  I think he would love them.

Ashton probably read at least 15 chapter books (most of them big) last school year.  He has gone through the Percy Jackson books as the well as the Harry Potter Series.  He read all of the Gregor books last school year.  He does love to read but it also helps that it is a competition at his school.  haha.  He is currently go through the a big series that I cant remember the name of.... something about fairy tales with a modern spin.

Hunter reads the Bible at night. He actually asked his English teacher if reading books of the Bible count for the reading challenge... little did he know that made him an immediate teacher's pet!  He is reading the Maze Runner and he and I are reading Ender's Game together (reading it to Ashton as well.)

So, book world for them is good.... Book world for me is non-existent.  But, as I often tell myself, this is just the season of life I am in.  Live present.

No comments:

Post a Comment