Thursday, April 10, 2014

Spring is my Excuse

Man, it is hard to blog when the weather is as gorgeous as it has been and I have a bazillion projects going on around the house.

Those that know me, know this... when I am absent from blogging then I have some type of mission/ project going full steam ahead.  And this absence is no different...

Spring is my excuse.  I have been planning, digging, planning, digging all in my yard.  As I mentioned before this yard is so big which proved to be a bit of a hindrance for my ideas.  But, there is something about spring that just gets your mind working. 

In the last week, I have dug up and then re transplanted over 150 clumps of monkey grass (most came from GrandmaDeans house... thank you).  I have given HUGE haircuts to over 20 of the shrubs.  I have planted some rose bushes, loropetalum, and some other things.  And I have continued on my quest to eliminate the wild onions in my beds (those thinks are horrid!)

This is the new shrub look.  I did it this way for a couple reasons but most importantly is that little critters (AKA- snakes) are going to be harder pressed to scare the crap out of both Chad and me.  Plus, I think it looks clean and adds a bit of depth to our otherwise flat house.  I only messed up on one shrub and it get a BIG HAIRCUT... oops

Just an example of the monkey grass lined beds... just need the pine needles.
Another little example of the monkey...
This bed was full of wild onions.  I am finally getting them under control.  I tried multiple more "natural" remedies but the only think that  I found that works is Ortho Max.  Oh, and notice the tallest shrub on the corner, that is the shrub I messed up on.

I have 100 bales of pine needles coming on Monday.  Huge areas have been turned into beds and are anxiously awaiting the pine needle delivery. 

Turns out not being able to do the floors this year has turned out to be a blessing as it has given a little extra money to put into the yard.  Yes, I know I could have saved it but I NEEDED (yes, needed) to get the yard in shape. 

Two projects that are in the works are 1)the garden.  Bless Chad's heart, he has made quite a mess of trying to get the ground ready for me.  Enough on that though.  2)  making our on concrete pavers using the Quikrete Path Maker. 

Here is the Walk Maker we are going to attempt to use.


In addition to the outside, I got a bur up my butt this morning to rearrange my bedroom... like move the bed rearrange.  This was led me to want to paint my bathroom.  The master bedroom/ bathroom always seems to be the last room that is put together... and after living here 9  months, I deem it time to conquer it.

So there you have it.  A quick whats up with us.

Oh, and the boys are all doing great.  H and A are ready for Easter Break.  Shepherd got to tour with preschool that he will go to next year and Bennett is great until 4:00 every day at which time he turns into a bear!  

We also got to keep Riggs this past weekend and had such a ball... literally with him.  Here are a couple pics of dogs and kids.... because I am sure the bland yard pics bored you to tears (but I wanted to post them because I fully anticipate that in a year... this yard will look quite different!) 
 

 

2 of the 4 enjoying the day while brothers are at school.


Dog Cousins
                 Riggs takin a rest from throwing his ball                






                                                                                                                   My little girl...so sweet.
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! You are so great at outdoor work! I would like to put a little TLC into the outdoor areas of this house but since it's not ours, I'm not putting my money into it. And to mess up on a bush, it certainly looks purposeful since that bush is on the corner :) So have you already been scared by a snake or are you just paranoid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bush you wacked on the most is my favorite - I like to see boxwoods with design and symmetry! :)
    I have no doubt the yard will take shape - you have Spencer blood in you and we love to do the outside stuff....Grandpa Gordie would be so proud of you, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete