Monday, October 21, 2013

Seeing Peace

Said good bye to another one of our grandparents.  Chad's moms mom went to be with the Lord Friday evening.
Shepherd gets his middle name from this side of the family
I will be honest in saying that I didnt know her as much as I would have liked.  Have you ever wished you would have met someone a generation early?  That you would have either been a generation older or them one younger?
Six of the eight grandkids served as pallbearers
That is how I feel about Betty.  She always intrigued me.  I think that if I had not been so busy with my family and if she would have been in a talkative mood, then I really could have gotten some  stories/ advice from her.

You see,she would have understood the place I am in now.  She had 5 kids, but the youngest one came much later.  Her first four kids were 7 years apart... just like mine.  She stayed at home and cooked, cleaned, and cared for those children.  I can only imagine that they were her world as my kids are my world.

She would have reminded me that my time to mold them is such a small window.
To not wish away the moments.
To pound Jesus into them even when they might resist.
To pray over them fervently/ relentlessly.
To squeeze them and hug them and kiss them all the time.
To smile at them
To tell them that you are proud of them
To tell them you love them
To have Jesus be so much apart of my life that they only know the way of Jesus.

I am sure she could give me so much more advice on how to make it through the exhausting days.  I wish I had known her better.

She suffered in her last bit of time on earth. Strokes kept knocking her down.  As the pastor said, "there are no more strokes, no more trials, only perfect sight."  She is back with her husband and I can only imagine that she has joy.

Her service was small... just like she would have wanted.
At the end of the graveside service.

Betty, you were absolutely beautiful today.  In fact, I have never seen you look  more radiant and pretty.  I think the emotion that I often saw on your face was worry/ sadness and that is over. I only saw Peace today.  Honestly, I wanted to whip out my camera and take a picture, but thought that would be inappropriate and a tad morbid so I refrained. :)  But I will have your peaceful face etched in my mind.

Oh and just so you know, Ashton was concerned as to where your legs were during the viewing.  I assured him that they were in the box, but that you didnt need those legs anymore.  :)

Below is a snippet of the song that my brother in law sang during the graveside service.
"Give Me Jesus"
Until we meet again.  We love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment