Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A Soap Box Post

"Are you sad that you are not having a girl?"
HELL NO!

The thought that this even came into my 6 1/2 year olds head really pisses me off.  This is not a concept that he would have come up with on his own, instead it is one that he has repeatedly heard asked from strangers and those we know.  If you are one of the ones who has asked this or something like it, please dont think I am angry at you.  Heck, I probably dont even remember you said it because I hear it all . the . time.

I also hear (as do my boys) these lines...

"please tell me that one (referring to my belly) is a girl."
   My response: nope, another boy.
"Aw, I bet you really wanted/ want a girl"
   My response:  actually, no.  Always wanted 4 and thankfully this what God saw fit to give me.
"You are really trying for that girl, arent you?"
    My response: no, just a baby and I think I got that covered
"I hear after you have 4 boys that 5th one will be a girl."
   My response:  I guess we will never know
"Bless your heart, I wouldnt know what to do with all those boys."
   My response:  Good thing it is happening to me instead of you. (insert sweet smile)
"You will never get to experience a little girl."
   My response:  Got ya beat... you will never get to experience 4 boys.  

I realize this is a pet peeve and I will go as far as to say a hormonal rant but I just dont get it.  I get that some people have gender disappointment, though I never have... I get it and I dont judge it.  However, I dont get how other people have gender disappointment for me and then feel it is necessary to comment to me, in front of my children on how my life is not complete without a girl. 

I am no more missing out on a girl than you (general) are missing out on having a houseful of boys. I realize that probably 99% of these comments are innocent but it is a good reminder for me to weigh my words carefully.

I am so excited to meet this last member of our family and I am so thankful that I have been chosen to be the mother of 4 boys.  I cant help but think about Leah from the Bible where after she had her 4th son she named him Judah which means "now I will praise the Lord."  And that is exactly where I am at.  This 4th son gives me even more reason to praise the Lord.

And yes, I just used the word "hell" and a Bible reference in the same post. Sorry.

Alright, I am done.  Stepping down.

Oh and for the record, I have heard some really sweet comments to.
"Well, aren't you blessed" is probably my favorite.



4 comments:

  1. You are your mother's child....ouch! Raise those boys to glorify God and they'll bring home a woman like their mama....spirited and strong in Him! If you were anything but, you would not be able to handle the task He has blessed you with...count it all joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blessed by God to have one child, a son, and there's nothing like a Mother-Son relationship!! I'm jealous you get to multiply that by 4!!!!!(SMILE) I think it's awesome:))) They truly are gifts from God. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your post! You are so honest. I remember a lot of people even saying stuff like that to me when I was pregnant with Will. I can't wait to meet that sweet little Bennett, only a few more months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally understand! You must be doing something right for God to keep sending His most special sons to you. Some of the best women I know are mothers to a houseful of boys. I love his name too! I can't wait to see his sweet little face.

    ReplyDelete