Sunday, August 12, 2012

How I Said Good Bye


Last Saturday he looks a bit out of it.  The past two weeks had definitely taken its toll... cancer sucks.
GrandpaGordie- I think this picture is about 4 years old.
The boys, my parents, and I actually went up to NC to visit with some of my dad's family that had come down from VA last weekend.  And it just so happened that GrandpaGordie (mom's dad) had taken a big turn for the worse.  We spent the afternoon with them.

Though he didnt really remember our visit, he did talk to us... had has rolling on floor with one his stories.  I will not go in detail as it is potty humor.  But, something was definitely not right with him... his bright eyes not as bright, his smile nonexistent, his appetite gone.

I think I left GrandmaDean and GrandpaGordie's house that day knowing that it is probably the last time I would ever see him alive. 

I am so thankful that my last living memory of him is him sitting in the recliner, with a blanket pulled up around his neck.  I leaned down to say good bye, put my hands on his shoulders and leaned in close.  I kiss him on the cheek and he kisses me back and says "I love you."  I choke back the, "I love you too GrandpaGordie... bye."

And that's it.  A perfect good bye for an amazing grandpa, a fellow brother in Christ.

GrandpaGordie is chillin' with Jesus this morning.  He hopped into heaven last night and I am sure he is singing his lungs out this morning.

More to come... I must gather my thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Hannah, I'm so sorry for your loss. From all of your stories, it sounds like he was a real man of Christ and such a wonderful Grandfather. I pray that the Spirit of our Lord will be with you and your family as you mourn this terrible loss in the days and weeks to come. Love and hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah - I'm so sorry to hear the news. I'm praying for you, GrandmaDean, and your Mom. Wish I was there to give you a hug. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry Hannah! My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family this week as you lay your sweet Grandpa to rest.

    ReplyDelete