Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Homeschooling Units 3 and 4

Sorry for the lack of posting... once I have a free minute, I dont feel like being creative and thinking through a post. 
Homeschooling continues to be 'da bomb. ;)

Here is a quick recap of the last two units.
Unit 3
Memory verse  I John 4:15-16a
History- continuing with religious persecution in England and introduction Pilgrims.
Reading- going well.  never go the easier Bible so we are just sticking with the harder one and he is doing better. 
Spelling- Missed his first spelling word on a test and was insisted that was angry with him.  He did chip twice instead of trip.
spelling list
Math- addition from Singapore.  We also added in a Math Drops Bucket in worksheet for each day (thanks Aunt Joan).  I love these little worksheets because he can do them by himself!
Making a "pizza" using the nine addition family for number sentences.

Example of Math Drops in the Bucket worksheet and Singapore WB.


Poetry
oops, forgot to put this vertical... here is the poem for the unit, "Uphill"
Art
Art projects goes along with History lesson from Day 1 about the rose garden in England.


 Science
Fun little experiment about how bees pollinate a flower.  Hunter's finger is the bee and two plates are different flowers.  The crumbs are the pollen. 

End result

We also talked about light in science and came across this phrase.  I underlined it but in case you cant see it, "Jesus came to giver spiritual light and wisdom to His chosen or elect children."  Love it! 

Unit 4
Memory Verse: Matthew 6:19-21
History:  Pilgrims made it out of England and into Holland after much persecution and jail time.
Reading: We will finish with the Old Testament next week. Hunter is LOVING this Bible now.  He always wants to do his reading first
Spelling: Aced his spelling test.
Math:  By the end of this unit, I decided to incorporate a new math book in addition to Singapore.  Joan gave me her old math books and we are going to start working through that.  The 1st grade book was missing a ton of pages so we are started in the 2nd grade book.  It starts with place values which I think he can handle. If it gets too hard, we will back off.  I might actually pull out the 1st grade math book she gave me as I think the back half is still pretty much together.

Cute math activity from Singapore.  Drawing different objects then making number sentences.  Example: on the bottom, draw 4 ladybugs, then add 1.  Right a number sentence.

 History Activity: We are talking a lot about Holland right now in History b/c our Pilgrims have made it out of England.  We have described how Holland was right at or below water level so they had to built dikes of playdough to illustrate what happens when a dike leaks.


 Poetry:  Daybreak.


The Others! I must admit that I am having a hard time getting Ashton and Shep's lesson in.  I am just beginning Unit 3 with them.

 This was a cute activity A, S, and I did.  Unit 2 we learned about Noah.  We picked objects to test to see if they float or sink.  Here are our results. 
Add caption

Our objects


 Just a funny picture of Ashton.  He drew a picture  of me.  hahaha
 

Ashton's pictures of me.

2 comments:

  1. I got to hear ole Hunter reading today....quite impressive for a beginning 1st grader. Guess what I like the most is what he is reading - Daniel and the Lions Den, Baby Jesus in a Manger....and Ashton was sitting right there absorbing it all.
    Hannah, your little house is a school. And while you are also the custodian, cook, and maintenance person....you are also the favorite teacher for a lifetime in the eyes of H.A.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the peek into your homeschooling, Hannah. Looks like you guys are doing awesome! I like the sink or float activity; we'll be doing that this week. Can't wait to see you guys at First Friday.

    ReplyDelete