Wednesday, May 2, 2012

It Feels Like Christmas!

***EDIT- If a post on home school curriculum is boring to you, then you may just want to skip over this one... you were warned!  :)

Obviously not talking about the weather which is 15 degrees above average... and I love it!!!
Nope, I am talking about this beauty that was sitting by my front door this afternoon.
I have been tracking her arrival numerous times over the last four days.
It is our curriculum for next year.  After a lot of prayer, we decided to go with Heart of Dakota.  (Anna, I dont think Rainbow Resources carries this... at least I did not see it on the website).

I ran into Heart of Dakota 3 years ago.  At that point, we had just moved here and I was looking for something to do with mainly Hunter where Ashton could tag along (I was pregnant with Shep).  Hunt was 4, Ash was 2.  I dont know how it happened but the preschool manual, Little Hands to Heaven, from Heart of Dakota landed in my home.  And I was and still am in love with it!  The age is 2 years to 5 years and the lessons last between 20 to 50 minutes each day.  I will be using this manual and Bible for Ashton and Shepherd this coming year.

The next manual from HOD (Heart of Dakota) is Little Hearts for His Glory.  After reviewing their placement chart, I felt confident that Hunter had  mastered those skills so I decided to place him in  Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory.  Here is a breakdown of the material we will be using next year.


From left to right
- Top Row- 4 History books (American Patriots and Pioneers, Stories of Pilgrims, and Boys and Girls of Colonial Days and and an adult Bible (not pictured)), The Beginner's Bible, Singapore Math 1A and 1B
- Bottom Row- Beyond Little Hands for His Glory Teacher's Manual, God's Wonderful World (Science)

These are the books that I will be reading to Hunter/ Ashton for storytime.  There were numerous options, I have narrowed it down to these... I think.  I only had to buy 2 of them as the rest I was able to get from the library. 
Top Row- Squanto (Biography), The Sword in the Tree (Adventure), Little House in the Big Woods (Historical Fiction), Who Stole the Wizard of Oz (Mystery),
Middle Row- Charlotte's Web (Fantasy), Mr. Popper's Penguins (Humor), The Apple and the Arrow (Folk Tales)
Bottom Row- If You Traveled West in a Covered Wagon (Non Fiction), Mountain Born (Realistic Fiction)

If anyone has a suggestion for a good book that fits in one of these genres, please suggest.  I am hoping we will be able to do more than one for each genre. 

With this manual, you have to place your child in phonic, emegering reader, independent reader.  Hunter places nicely in emergent reader though we have already starting reviewing phonics in preperation for these books.  These are the books that are placed into the curriculum. Though it doesnt look like a lot for a whole year, they are all chapter books.  Plus, we will add easy reads throughout the week outside of the HOD curriculum.
These books are in the order of which we will read this. All but 4 of these I will be able to get from the library.
Top Row- The Beginner's Bible (first 9 units use the Bible), Owl at Home, Frog and Toad All Year, Frog and Toad are Friends
Middle Row- Wagon Wheels, Amelia Bedelia, Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express, Prairie School, First Flight
Bottom Row- Christian Liberty Nature Reader, Tornado, Animal Adventure, The Bear on Hemlock Mountain, The Courage of Sarah Noble.

Here is an example of the 2nd book that Hunter will read versus the last book... kind of makes me nervous that by this time next year he should be on the bottom book.

Thats it!  After comparing countless curiculum and narrowing it down to My Father's World and Heart of Dakota.  I just truly have a peace about HOD. An added benefit is that I was able to get all this for right under $160 which is pretty awesome for curriculum--- I will be keeping the library jumping though.

 Expect critiques and praises as we trek through!

Also, here are the links for Little Hands to Heaven and Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory on the Heart of Dakota webpage.

2 comments:

  1. So many of those titles I remembered from the days when you three were in Christian schools....I bet if I dug deep enough, I could have found several titles buried in the basement!
    I didn't see anything for math - has that not arrived? Is the social studies integrated with the reading?
    You guys are going to make such fun memories....won't be all positive, but remember the motto and Hampton Christian - "All for Him!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should still look for some of the titles. The few I had to buy I can return in 30 days. And I would rather use our book instead of the library's book if you have them.
      And the math, history, and science books are in the 4th pictures (the picture with the teacher's manual.)
      All for Him indeed!

      Delete