Thursday, November 10, 2011

Those Kind of Friends

As a military brat, I have had a lot of friendships.  I have moved many times and from 4th grade to 12th grade was in 7 different schools.  I would like to think that I have become a pretty good judge of character and am picky about the company I keep.  I am not what most would consider a "friend" person.  I dont need to be surrounded by friends to do my thing.

With that said, I am so thankful for people that pursue friendships.  For example, my best friend in high school- Sami (now Samantha, she had to go formal).  I still love hearing from her, however, she initiated the friendship and honestly, most of the time, she kept the friendship going.  She now has 3 beautiful little girls and though we dont communicate often, I still consider her a great friend.

I went though college with the normal "friendships."  Had girls that liked but nothing that was deep enough to last through the years.  I casually keep up with some of them through facebook.

And of course, in college, I also met my husband... that probably had a lot to do with not having a ton of friends while in school.

I have two amazing sister-in-laws who I consider to be friends.  Sandee, Chad's sister, will call me up just to chat... I wish I had that skill.  She is approachable and is a lot of fun.  Anna, Zach's wife, is one who I could see myself being friends outside of that sister-in-law status.  Distance has never been on our side though as my brother keeps moving her around the country (thanks a lot Zach :(  )  However, Anna is down to earth and funny.

And after living here for 2 years, I am finally starting to make a connection or two for potential "good" friends.

 But this post if for a friend, one who has proven her friendship to me.

Taken summer 2010 @ the beach.
 
Let me tell you a bit about my great friend, Olivia.  Olivia and I met almost 6 years ago in our Sunday School class.  Hunter was a newborn and Olivia says she remembers me.  Blame it on motherhood, but I dont remember meeting her the first time.  She and her husband were visiting our class.  Thankfully, God saw fit to make them permenant fixtures in our class with her husband, Matt, taking over the teaching duties.  Chad, Matt, Liv, and I were all high school teachers.  By the end of 2006 into 2007 we were casual friends- not "call ya up to chat about your day" friends but we would talk at church, Bible Study.

By the time Ashton was born, I knew that Olivia was going to be in that elite category of friends- that category that is just for the best.  Her first son was born in 2008, we went to the beach with her family and another family that same summer (where she could have saved Ashton's life ;) ).  From there it is history.  We have since taken 3 more beach trips together, added 2 more boys into the mix.  We have been through some peaks and valleys together.  We have prayed for each other, counseled each other, been a sounding board for one another.

Olivia, you are amazing woman.  I am so thankful that you pursued this friendship and that you kept it going.  If it wasn't for your persistency then we would not be the friends we are today.  Thank you for all the phone calls and emails.  I really miss you popping into our house just to chat. Doesn't that seem like a long time ago?  I have no doubt that our friendship will withstand the test of time (and distance).  Though beach trips, in the microscopic size house, are close to being a memory, I am sure that we will find other ways (on small budgets) to vacation/ visit together.  I vote to take over my parent's "lake house"  (it is all in your perspective, right?)

 Anyway, this HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE post is really written to tell you three things.

1- You are awesome!
2- I love you!
3- And HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY!!!!

And, say it with me,

ALL's GRACE,



PS- Mom, I didnt include you in this list of friends because you know you cant be boxed into this category.   ha ha ha! :)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Olivia.....and when you love my daughter and her children, then you are amazing and loved in my book, too. Thank you for being there for her when family was not around (and ole Hannie turns 30 March 16th! Ouch!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did I miss this post!!!! I'm just seeing this today! Thank you Hannah. Cathy you raised an amazing daughter! I love you Hannah and will call you today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I remember meeting you that first day because you came in with Hunter (about 2 months old) and I thought you were so beautiful and was so jealous of how great you looked only 2 months postpartum and Chad taught that Sunday on Samson. :)

    ReplyDelete