Monday, March 12, 2018

A Year Already

I sit here reflecting back on the last year.  Today marks 1 year of being a working mom.  (this was drafted on Feb 13)

Here are some things that I have noted.
1- I have such an amazing network.
   My in-laws (Hub and Aunt Joan in particular) and my parents have gone out of their way to make me feel good about going to work.  My dad watch Bennett all 2nd semester last school year.  My mom took the boys to school every day last school year.  Hub and Aunt Joan take turns picking up the younger 3 boys this school year and let them hang out until I can get them.

2- I really like my job.
   Last February I talked a little bit about taking this job.  I was pretty unsure as to what my job would entail.   365 days later, I can give you many more details.
   I have 3 schools- 1 high school and the 2 feeder middle schools. I do career lessons with 6th- 12th students to help prepare them for work and to help them figure out what they want to do.  We do inventories and take field trips.  I also work very closely with our Career Center and Tri- County Technical College.  The CDFs are responsible for IGPs (Individual Graduation Plans), STEM Premier, Job Shadowing, WBL (work based learning) as well as doing one on one career counseling.
   I have had the opportunity to take many fun field trips with the students.  From visiting Charleston and the Ports Authority twice to touring FN (manufacturing machine guns for the military) to touring many other local businesses, I am becoming well-versed in the upstate industry.  I have attended conferences and plan to go to Kentucky next school and maybe even Florida.

Pictures from Charleston trip.  This was a trip to the Ports Authority, military base, and the Citadel (and maybe the beach :)
Toured Air Force Base

Inside the plane

Touring the Citadel

A shot from the ports authority dock in Charleston
Beach selfie


Pictures from trip to Columbia- FN Manufacturing
Crazy collection!

3 of the 4 CDFs in our district


  The surprising thing about my job is how much I work with middle school students.  Middle school guidance departments are severely understaffed so I was put right to work to fill in the career gaps.

3- My work people
   I love all 3 guidance departments that I work with.  They are all different but I have enjoyed them.  The high school department is amazing and they have made me feel right at home with them.
Went to a counselor conference in Myrtle Beach last month.  We stayed on the 27th floor, ocean front.  Next school year, I already have 3 conferences scheduled.  I hate leaving my kids but as I mentioned above, my network of people makes it easier for me
So, there is the work summary.  This job is funded for 2 more years after this year.  After that, I dont know... it could be funded again or I might be looking for something else.  For now, I will try to enjoy the set up that I have.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment