Friday, July 29, 2016

Waterfall or Bust

The boys and I spent a few days with  my parents this past week.  I love going down to see my mom and dad especially when there is nothing on the agenda.

I had seen on facebook, a SC watefall roadtrip.  Link here.  Five of the seven top waterfalls are within 40ish minutes of my parent's house... thus the reason we call it God's country.  :)  I told mom that we should go.  We decided to split up the viewings into two days.  The two in Oconee county on Thursday and then the three in Pickens County on Saturday.

We load up the boys, and the two younger dogs along with my both my parents.  We get to our first destination of Chau Ram State Park.  You can literally see the waterfall from the parking lot which sounds great in theory, but turns out to be quite dangerous.  The rock that you walk on is not steep but very very slippery... do you sense where this is going?  My mom is on high alert keeping the boys close to her, my dad has both dogs (problem 1) who are pulling like crazy on their nice, long, extendable leashes (problem 2).  All of sudden, my father is being pulled down the rock, he slips, flies up in the air lands right in the middle of his back, dropping the leash and immediately curls up in a fetal position.  Mom screams, thinks he is dead or paralyzed.  She doesnt go down to him knowing she will bust it as well.  So, I hurry down and also fall.  However, I fall on my nicely, padded rear end but because it is slippery, I slide and my feet go in the water.  By the grace of God, I stop before I go all the way in the water (it is not shallow) with my phone and keys in my hand.

The big flat rock right in the front of this picture drops off a bit... that is where Mantis and I fell. 

Long story short, I get to dad- make sure he can move.  I gather up the dogs (by this point, mom has secured the kids on the grass), and dad crawls up the rock with me.  The word "fiasco" does not quite sum up this experience.

After the fall, we all recovered enough to smile for a shot

We let dad compose himself and he take a small walk through the trails.  He meets up with us on our way back.  Mom takes over driving his car and dad rides with me as he is a trooper and says we can continue on our waterfall hunt.
And another group shot.

Next stop, Isaqueena Falls/ Stumphouse Tunnel.  We had actually been here with mom and dad before back in January of 2012.  See post here.   A much different experience this time since it is summer you could see nothing from the lookout point plus Bennett was not even a thought the last time we were there.  Because of dad's back, mom and dad didnt hike down to see the waterfall.  It was a pretty steep descent but not super long.  The boys loved climbing down.  After the waterfall, we drove up to Stumphouse Tunnel which they loved.

The boys loved this waterfall.  After the last stop though, I was a bit on guard.

As close to perfect as I have snapped with these 4.  Hunt is a bit stiff, but these boys are the best.

Climbing back up to the look out.

Stop for a pic of the Stumphouse trail.

By Friday, dad's back was really sore and stiff but he was at least able to move and walk a bit.  The boys and I were able to meet up at CFA with Olivia and her boys.... again, forget to take a picture!!!

Uncle Nolan came down Friday night and we decided to forego the waterfall adventures and hit Secret Beach (a college, lake hang out.. we hit it before the college kids were even awake) and then the pool.
It was a nice 5 minute walk from the road to the "secret" beach.

Some pics of crazy Riggs.  He did not like anyone but Nolan going too deep in the water.







Some pics of crazy Riggs.  He did not like anyone but Nolan going too deep in the water.
example of Rigg's attempt to "pull" his kids back to the sand.


:)

queenie with her boys.

Nolan with 3 of the 4.  

Two of a kind.... these two preferred the rocks and snacks to the water and sand.

The boys and I hurried back home as my mom's sister, my cousin, his wife and daughter, and my GrandmaDean were coming over to my house for dinner.  Chad stepped up to the plate and got dinner ready for everyone and we had such a fun time.  I dont get to see my cousins much, especially as care free as he was at my house.
The adults getting a look at Nolan's Peru trip pics.  

Bennett and his 2nd cousin (or 1st cousin once removed), Spencer.  Bennett was so sweet to Spencer trying to make her feel comfortable in our wild house.

It was a slammed pack few days but lots of fun.... in the words of GrandpaGordie... we made a memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment