Thursday, March 27, 2014

3000 dollar entertainment

There is always a silver lining... always... right?

My silver lining today was getting to watch Bennett and Shepherd be totally amazed by the diggers in the yard. I also had been trying to decide if I should get rid of some of the shrubbery.  Looks like that question was answered today with an emphatic "yes"!

Loving the show

 As I mentioned last post, we have had to have our septic tank pumped 4 time since December to the tune of $165 a pop.  For those that don't know anything about septic tanks... THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!  Pumping a septic tank might normally need to be done once every 5 years... maybe if you are ultra conservative.  So, we knew there was quite a problem by the 2nd pump.
Bennett still mesmerized with all the movement and equipment.  I have a feeling his tractor book is going to take on a whole new meaning to him.
I have been so excited to get our tax money back so that I could get wood laminate/ wood floors in the den/ living room/ dining room.  Well that came to a screeching halt today.

At first we thought we could get out fixing it for $1000.  This put a slight hurt on my floor budget but I thought I could downgrade a bit and still come out ok.  Then, we got the estimate of $2500 which then took my outlook to maybe I can just do the den this year and finish the rest next year.  Then, after they started they ran into some "unforeseen" problems such of the roots of the shrubbery causing the blockage and all the shrubs along the front of the fence needing to come out... which took my final cost to $3000 and a farewell wave to my floors!


Even more amazing up and close and personal.


We had all kinds of speculations as to why our tank kept filling up with water.  The man who pumped it kept telling us, "water is just rushing right back in after I pump it out."  Some of the speculations were 1) it has just been so rainy the last two seasons that the ground is saturated.  2)  There are not enough of drain lines/ fields for the amount of people now living in the house.  3) Tree roots are in the lines and blocking the water.
Getting started... I had no idea that this was actually a small hole.

The winner was the roots.... as I mentioned above.  The line of mature shrubs along the fence had grown into a tangled rooty mess under ground and had totally blocked 2 of the lines causing back ups in the house. 

I don't know if you can fully appreciate the scope of this trench.  It was insanely ginormous! 
To say I am bummed is an understatement.  But, my bum's needs ruled and we now have a working septic system.  YIPPEE!   : /  

I am now looking up the number to Stanley Steamer (get carpets cleaner) 

4 comments:

  1. Houses suck butt sometime, my dear! And no pun intended! We are about to spend 13 grand on a new heat pump - our house is only 6 years old and the builder took a short cut on that little item. I feel your pain - but then you look at those little faces and realize they just might like that carpet! Buy yourself a good carpet cleaner, too and you just can't go wrong! We'll have a fun weekend....will you post about it? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am planning on bringing the camera... you just need to remind me to get it out! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry! But silver lining... At least you had the refund to pay for the unexpected expense. I know how you had your heart set on getting rid of the carpet. Being an adult sucks sometimes! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys would have been very entertained by those big machines, too! Stinky way to spend the money, but houses sure are money pits, aren't they? At least you won't have to worry about your septic for a LONG time.

    ReplyDelete