Friday, July 8, 2016

Freedom to...

4th of July is such a good time to sit and reflect on the freedom that we have been given- the sacrifices that are made.  We are free in this country.  

I try to wrap my mind around senseless tragedies.  I try to wrap my mind around the world that we live in where men feel justified in targeting any one group- whether it is attacking a race or gender like the "entitled white man" or the "enslaved black man" or the "encased independent woman."  Or attacking a religious group like the "headwrapped vengeful Muslim" or the "intolerant judgmental Christian."  Or attacking those charged in ensuring our freedom like the "racists police officers" or the "trigger happy soldier."  All these terms are not ones I coined, but ones that I hear often- descriptions to single out or to isolate a group.  And they are wrong.  

As a Christian, I can only speak from that perspective.  Jesus is truly the only one who ever sat on this earth and had the right to have an adverse reaction to us.... but he chose to sit with sinners.  He ate with sinners. He washed the feet of sinners.  He didnt see their color, he didnt see their occupation, he didnt even see their religion.  He saw a people in need of salvation.  A people in need of a Savior.  

We need to live by His example." for this is how we know what love is, that Jesus Christ laid down His life for us." I John 3:16

As Christians, we sit and marvel about how beautiful God's creation is.  We say it is beautiful for the mountains and the valleys.  It is beautiful for the snowy arctic and the sandy desert.  It is beautiful for the tallest oak tree and the prettiest lilly.  It is truly God's unique creation that makes it beautiful.  He used that same ingenuity to create His greatest masterpiece- people.  Why do we have such a hard time recognizing this diversity is what makes us beautiful?  To steal the words of a child's Bible song, "we (plural/ inclusive/ ALL) are precious in His sight."

I should probably have this be a post on its own, but most of you visit this blog not to hear me rant but to see pics of the kids.  Soooo

We had quite a schedule to coordinate for the 4th.  Basically, we are keeping my brother's dog, Riggs (if you have been reading my blog for awhile, you know ALL about Riggsy.)  Anyway, Riggs doesnt get along well with one of my parents dogs so instead of subject my parents and the dogs to that, my dad came up and spent a couple nights up here so that we could participate in July 4th activities.  

We first went to visit with mom just for a night and then headed over to PapaHub and Grandma's.  The 4th of July was spent up at the pool with a cookout and lots of swimming and a little bit of fishing.  Sandee and the girls and my family then went to see some fireworks.   We even got to meet up with Jodi and her kids for a bit before we came home.
On the road.
A side note, I am so proud of my middle two who are 100% swimming thanks to a week's worth of lesson with Mrs Kayla Brook (as well as lessons last year with Mrs Danielle).   Both of these ladies have made my life a bit more simple.  


Daredevil- the next day Shep had to strip in the pool as he had bee go up his shorts while he was at the top of the slide.  It bit his butt and his leg.

Hunter went down this slide about every way you could think of.

The most conservative of my 4 in the water.

PapaHub's got this grandpa thing under control- expertly handling the youngest three!!! 
Bennett was awesome with both a lifejacket and swimmies. haha- he barely went under when he jumped in. His swim lessons will begin next year.  Bennett jumping into Julie

Swoon- This is one of those pictures that I will adore forever.

PapaHub grilled up a good dinner.  The whole group at the cookout.

Attemped some fishing with Great Uncle John.
Patiently waiting

more waiting

nothing was caught by the those using crickets.  But, thanks to Uncle John for letting the boys fish in the pond.

Bennett and Sami sitting with Becca, Julie, and Guneet during the fireworks

Sam, Ash, Char, and Shep with McD's in the background

Hunter, my buddy, sat with me.


 Another fun holiday in the books.   Thanks to all the grandparents for taking such good care of us.

God Bless America!

1 comment:

  1. Preach it, sister. Love this post and your wise words...plus the pics of the kiddos :)

    ReplyDelete